Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New XP comp on 2000 Server cannot install progs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mike The Red

Mike The Red

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

I just received a new computer running XP for one of my users. The computer has been added to the domain but the user cannot install any programs. I have looked at the user directory on the server and cannot see any groups or permissions that differ from other users that can install programs without any problems. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mike The Red

Mike The Red
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

Oops, I should at that on the user's old computer she could install programs with no problem at all

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:29 AM

Sounds like she is logged on as a limited user.

This is xp pro?

Edited by DaChew, 10 July 2009 - 11:30 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Mike The Red

Mike The Red
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

Just realized this post was rather confusing after reading over it again. What I meant to say is, when I go the Control Panel while being logged in as Administrator, the User Accounts only shows me users created on the machine, not the person as a user on our server. How can I change the permissions of the user? At the login screen, I enter "USERNAME at SERVER.ORG" instead of "USERNAME at THIS COMPUTER"

What I posted before the above clarifying edit...
Yes, XP Pro. If she is logged on as a limited user, how do I change that? When logged in as Admin, it appeared that I could only change permissions on the computer's domain users, not the server's domain users. (so my server is SERVER.ORG but the local computer domain is JANECOMPUTER)

Edited by Mike The Red, 10 July 2009 - 12:18 PM.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

Who set up the Server and the domain?
Chewy

#6 Mike The Red

Mike The Red
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

I connected this new computer to the existing server & domain today. The server was setup years before I got here. We don't have an IT position so since I know some of this stuff it got dumped on me. Normally I'd call our vendor but their main guy is on vacation and his helper monkeys seem to have a problem returning my calls.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

Do you understand the basic designation of domain, workgroups, and server client liscensing and logins?

A server runs a domain with different workgroups

I am not sure there is anyone here in our W2k server or Networking forums that could really lead you thru all this.
Chewy

#8 Mike The Red

Mike The Red
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:23 PM

We simply got a new computer for that person. The login was already setup, the user was already in a group. The old computer was Windows 2000 and she could install programs just fine. This new Windows XP computer is using that same login name/pass on the same domain and will not allow her to install programs. It is requesting administrator access. I can install the programs as administrator, but certain sites we need to access have very strict requirements to get into, and I need the user to have administrative capabilities from her own login. I just need to know why the same user does not have the same capabilities on a different computer.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

Did you go thru all these steps when setting up the xp computer?

http://www.petri.co.il/joining_a_domain_in...dows_xp_pro.htm
Chewy

#10 Mike The Red

Mike The Red
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:13 PM

I went through the domain setup again and everything is working as it should be. If only I would've started with that instead of trying to find a conspiracy theory. :thumbsup: Thanks for your time!

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

I am glad it was you not me, I betatested 2003 server when it came out.

:thumbsup:
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users