Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using the registry to uninstall stubborn programs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 raygee

raygee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:50 AM

I've tried System Restore and failed to find a date that would cure my problem of uninstalling
programs like HP and PCtools that simply refuse to be gone.
Unwanted programs like this are making my computer-life miserable. I don't know if I have
a virus (I doubt this), or some kind of malware that my Avast anti-virus can't find or stop.
I need to learn a "string" that will permanently uninstall or just obliterate these software nuicenses.
Also, my computer has begun to mis-cue in other strange ways.

I'm reading the tutorial on the Registry, but am timid going on my own into this untested ground.
Would appreciate some expert advice, please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:12 AM

Malware & viruses are 2 entirely different things & a anti-virus program isn't going to detect or remove malware.
You need a program like Malwarebytes ,

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti...4-10804572.html

Download, install, run, & remove all it finds.

As for the registry, I only suggest working in the registry if you are willing to do a system repair , or clean install, if you mess up.
If you delete the wrong registry entry by accident or otherwise you can cause Windows to quit working.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users