Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A couple of questions/problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Reveller120

Reveller120

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

So my computer is pretty much dead.
I thought it was just a loose A/C Jack but it turns out the motherboard burned out.
I've been using of my close friends for a while, since they didn't have internet, but now I got a new computer and am returning her computer....want to make sure its in a good state.

question/problem 1:
I really haven't accessed my dead computer in about a year..more actually.
So...I want to get all my stuff off of it, I have lots of files, pictures, videos, that I still want/need.
Turns out that another friend of mine has the exact same laptop as I do...same brand/model everything.
How possible or how much of a hassle would it be to take out my hard drive from my dead computer and put it in his to recover my stuff to an external harddrive or usb, or something? what steps would I need to take for it to be done correctly and most importantly safetly on his computer?

problem 2:
so the computer I've been borrowing has been great to me.
1 thing is really weird though, I think it was already doing it when I got the computer.
The cd tray likes to pop out randomly. Also sometimes it might take a couple of tries to get it open when you try to open it and also when you insert a cd or dvd it might take a good while before the computer recognizes it.

I've experienced when watching a movie, using a cd, or burning something the computer will stop playing or burning on its own. Sometimes even ejecting by itself.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Is it a possibility that sometimes is in the computer messing it up, or is it a problem with the software?
I can provide more information if possible.....please help

....and when i say computer I mean laptop.
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:23 AM

Go to your laptop manufacturers web site & download the manual for your model.
If you study the manual you should be able to determine exactly how to change the hard drive.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Reveller120

Reveller120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

thanks.

anybody have anything for me for the cd try popping out.
I was trying to copy a data dvd to transfer all my stuff to my new computer.
Luckily I only wasted 1 dvd.....thought it was going to be more.
When I was burning the dvd the tray just popped out on its own and well yeah.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:06 PM

When a tray on a CD drive just starts opening on it's own the CD drive is usually displaying a sign of failure.
There usually is no fixing it other then replacing it.

The price of DVD burners that will handle all media & burn about any kind of disk has gotten so low it's not even worth trying to fix a drive unless it is a very expensive Blue-Ray drive.
If it is a blue-ray drive it should be returned to the manufacturer for service.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users