Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to open a Links sent to my "Windows Mail"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ptfitzy

ptfitzy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

I could sure use some help. I have a 4 month Dell Studio Desktop with "Vista Premium Home Edition". It's a 32 bit. This last 2 weeks whenever I receive an E Mail with a Link, it will not open. However, it will open as long as I have "Internet Explorer" 7 SP1. open and minimized. I tried going to IE 8. It did not solve the problem. I am able to open attachments.

Since it was under warranty, I contacted "Dell". The Tech got on Remotely and tried resetting my Defaults. He could not fix the problem.
He then says it is not a "Hardware Problem" but a "Software Problem". He gave me a phone number to call and said I would be charged a fee for the software problem. I was going to call but I could see being charged for it and the Tech not being able to fix it.
Any help would surely be appreciated. Thanks,
ptfitzy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

Hi there and welcome to BC!

Backup Registry
  • Please download ERUNT from here.
  • Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: If you ever need to restore your registry in case something breaks, go to the folder and start ERDNT.exe

Download this file and place it on your desktop.
  • Unzip batch_file_assoc.zip.
  • This will create a new file on your desktop with the name: batch_file_assoc
  • Doubleclick the batch_file_assoc.reg file in order to let it merge into the registry.
Let me know if that works. :huh:

Regards,
Adam
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#3 ptfitzy

ptfitzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

Axephilic, Thanks so much for your reply for help. OK. I'm lost.
I am not real good at Zip Files. I am using "Quick Zip". I clicked on Erunt "here" which opens. A box opens. On the lefft is just erunt[1]zip.
On the right side are are several other files with different dates.

I downloaded Win Zip and did what you said . I think. I got the"Security Warning. I clicked "Run". Then the "Registry Editor" popped up "Requesting Permission". I clicked "Continue.
Then the "Registry Editor" popped up saying "Adding information could unintentionally change or delete...." I clicked Yes.
Then it popped up saying" Cannot import C:\Users\ptfitzy\Documents\Unzipped\batch_files_assoc\reg: Not all data was sucessfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes." It still won't open E Mail Links without Internet Explorer being minimized. I may have done some wrong steps in your instructions.
ptfitzy

Edited by ptfitzy, 12 July 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#4 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

Unzip the whole zip file into it's own folder and then run the file. Don't try and do it one by one, just use extract all. :huh:

#5 ptfitzy

ptfitzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:22 PM

OK. I have a file called erunt.exe.zip. I clicked on the "Win Zip" icon. up came "Win Zip Wizard". I clicked on it. I clicked on "Next".
Up came "Choose the activity you want to perform. Those are:

Unzip or install from erunt.exe.zip (which had a checkmark next to it.)

Update erunt.exe.zip

Create a new Zip File

Zip important files Documents.E mail etc.

I chose Unzip or install from erunt.exe.zip I clicked "Next" to a selected folder which had C:\Users\ptfitzy\Document\Unzipped\erunt.exe
It also said "Select different folder" and also 2 Boxes. One was checked with "Overwrite matching files automatically".
as was another box checked "Display file icons after unzipping".

I also somehow ended up making all the programs on my Desktop each a Zip File.
There is also another Win Zip Wizard which has 2 Boxes "Options" and "About". I can click "Next" on that.
Currently I have 4 Windows icons. They are 2 erunt.exe and 2 batch_file_ association [1]
Also I have in a Windows folder "Batch_file_assoc_reg dated back in March. as a "Registration entry" The other one Batch_file_assoc_reg dated today as a shortcut.
Phil

Edited by ptfitzy, 12 July 2009 - 08:28 PM.

#6 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:41 AM

I'm not sure what you mean.

#7 ptfitzy

ptfitzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

I'm sorry. I can't hardly understand myself.
OK. I downloaded erunt.exe with WinZip. I have 12 icons related to it. I clicked on one called erunt.exe
First I get a welcome that the Registry backs up files for NT,2000 and XP.
I click open. Then I get a box "Specify a folder where the Registry should be saved". In another box is C:\windows\erdnt\7-13-2009.
There are 2 small boxes checked. They were "System Registry" and "Current user Registry".
When I click OK it says Folder already exists which is C:\Windows\erdnt\7-13-2009' and do I want to replace it. I say No.
It goes back to Specify Folder. I figured to type Desktop next to the 7-13-2009. It asks me Folder does not exist, do I want to create one. I say yes. Up comes a box titled ERU for NT "Unable to create file".
It says Registry backup will continue. No restore information foe erdnt will be saved. Later it will have to be restored manually.
I then click OK. Then a box titled "Error saving file" C:\Windows\ERDNT\7-13-2009DesktopSecurity" Below that is
[REGcreatekeyfileEX:5-access denied] I clicked that and another similar warning shows up. Is this what it is supposed to do? Do I keep clicking "OK". I don't want to screw up my computer.
Also, on the warnings they refer to it as ERDNT and not ERUNT.
Thanks,
Phil

Edited by ptfitzy, 13 July 2009 - 12:54 PM.

#8 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

You need to extract all the files into a folder on your desktop first. Then run the erunt.exe when they are all extracted into that folder. (note that extracted means unzipped)

#9 ptfitzy

ptfitzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

I did extract them. It asked me to name a folder. I named it "New Folder". There are 11 different files related to this. I found erunt.exe listed to the right of it as "Application and opened it. It took me to a box where I clicked "Run". Then a box said "This program backs up the Registry files of your
Windows NT,2000 and XP. Choose a folder. I clicked OK. Then a box pops up saying specify a folder. In where I chose the folder was C:\windows\ERNDT\7-13-09. Below are 2 small boxes checked. Thet are System Registry and Current Registry. I clicked Yes. Another box opens and says "Folder already exist.
That's where I'm at.
Phil

#10 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:31 AM

Ok, now do the second part with the registry fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users