Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP networking problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

I have an:
Athlon 64 X2 3200+ at 2.0GHZ
1.5GHz DDR2 ram,(1 stock 512,1 1GB)
An WD WD25 SCSI
Nvidia 6100,complete chipset,not just a Video card for you naysayers
An 120GB IDE secondary drive

Here is my problem,I boot into XP SP2(in just 14 secs after bios) and the Computer cannot find any network connection,even though the ethernet cable is connected and the light is on,direct connecting the computer to the modem does not work,I have updated the ethernet driver too.

Also for you hard ware experts,sometimes the BIOS loses the WD25 drive from the boot menu,like,gone,poof...then I have to disconnect the IDE drive for the WD25 to work,that IDE drive has windows 7 RC1 X64 on it btw.

Edited by sonicjet, 09 July 2009 - 09:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:18 PM

What if any changes have you done recently?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:25 PM

What if any changes have you done recently?

Ha,Install xp! lol
Thanks for helping,the XP install is new and networking works fine in windows 7.

#4 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

Ha,Install xp! lol
Thanks for helping,the XP install is new and networking works fine in windows 7.

Sounds more like a software issue if you are able to connect to the network correctly on 7. Have you made sure you have downloaded the correct ethernet driver?
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

I agree with you andrewww, being able to connect under W7 means its not a hardware issue.

I have not messed with W7 at all, but if it is going with the flow of Windows it prolly has a driver that works with the NIC. When in XP, have you looked in Device manager to see if the NIC is installed correctly? No yellow ? or unknown devices. If it does or doesn't have a yellow ?, get the drivers. I'd uninstall it from Device manager and Add/Remove programs if the software doesn't uninstall when you remove it from DM. Reboot and install the drivers. Let us know how that works out.

Now you have 2 hard drives. One connected SCSI and the other IDE. The SCSI has XP on it I am assuming. Can you tell us a little more of how this is connected to your motherboard?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

SCSI is connected to the MOBO via one of 2 SCSI ports,blue cable,this is the hard drive that came with the computer,but now when you install an IDE drive,it completely loses it.
Ill check on the NIC right now...now....on to opening the PC up and disconnecting that IDE drive so I can boot to XP.... :thumbsup:

After a little NIC scouting,(I had to find the MOBO manual),and Driver updating...Success!
Except for the HDD prob.
thanks

Edited by sonicjet, 11 July 2009 - 11:46 AM.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

Grats on the NIC being solved.

What is the make and model of the motherboard?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 sonicjet

sonicjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

Well I done did Figured it out,the Computer was shipped out of the factory with too little of an PSU,250 watt,it doesn't have enough power to run 2 HDDs at once,nor can it take more than 3 usb ports being used,this is pathetic from lenovo.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

lol ok...glad you figured it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users