Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive power splitting safe or death??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ghost001

ghost001

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

i have a 650w power supply with 6 sata power cables, and i split all of them with a total of 12. my question is it safe to run it like that and will it jack up the power supply and or the "mobo, hard drives". when i start the computer it shows all but to of the drives " i dont know if the drives are not working or the two are not getting the power they need" ????????? ANY IDEAS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

Different drives will consume different amounts of electricity, called AMPS. If you draw too many amps for a system, it will drag the voltage down a bit.

You didn't say how many amps each 12v supply has. With 650W, it certainly should be enough.

Try unplugging one of the disks that DOES come up and then see if the disks that you say don't come up finally will work. That should rule out whether it is the drives or the power supply.

DR

#3 ghost001

ghost001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:09 AM

how many amps does it take to run a hard drive??

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:25 AM

What brand is your power supply? Some brands exagerrate their power suppliy's capabilities.

Here is a short article about power supplies and amperage:

http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/ar...8.asp&guid=

How many amps does it say are in the 12v legs? And are there two 12v legs? Or just one?

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users