Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2002 opens my web browser


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 voidgere

voidgere

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:24 PM

I have been attempting to tackle this issue for about 2 weeks now and have reached the end of my expertise.

When I open Outlook 2002, it sync's with my POP accounts and I click the inbox for my Hotmail account. The program hesitates for a second and then opens my web browser pointing to file in my temp folder of my Local Account (see pictures).

This pic shows that I am running Outlook 2002 with SP3.
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/v...ssage/first.gif

This pic shows exactly what part of Outlook I click on to bring up the error message.
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/v...e/first-one.gif

This pic shows the message, the path and the file name.
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/v...sage/second.gif

Now the file name constantly changes except for the first three characters which are always "olr". The behavior tells me that I have some sort of malicious activity or a setting has been changed. I do not know enough about Outlook to properly troubleshoot this issue.

I have taken the following steps to resolve the issue:

Hijack This! - Shows nothing that should not be there.

Ran Combo Fix - it had a few things that it corrected (which leads me to believe that maybe some malware or virus changed an Outlook setting).

Ran Malware Bytes - found nothing.

Ran Sypbot S&D - found a few tracking cookies and adware but nothing serious.

Ran Avira - Found no problems.

I just need to know if anyone else has encountered this behavior with Outlook 2002.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 andrewww

andrewww

  • Members
  • 111 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

I would try to reinstall outlook personally? Have you tried this?
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#3 voidgere

voidgere
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:32 AM

No. I guess I can try that instead. Just a bit irritating that I now have to re-install it.

#4 voidgere

voidgere
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

Ok, I did do the re-install but it did not help. I did, however, find the fix.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings.

Delete the "Temp" folder.

I haven't had Outlook open a web browser since. I am thinking maybe some sort of script or bad temp file was causing the issue.

Edited by voidgere, 12 July 2009 - 12:57 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users