Hi, i get this when i try to install my printer a Dell V305W
Unable to Install Printer. The printer driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks Windows NT 4.0 drivers.
before, the printer worked, but a few days ago, it said that the computer could not connect with the printer, so i uninstalled and tried to install, thus the problem installing
... i got support from dell.. but they couldn't help, and instead told me to get help from microsoft... but they charge 60 bucks... wtf....
i operate Windows Vista 32 bit. and have the printer connected to my network with an Hp computer with XP on the other end. The reason i provide the information regarding my network is b/c i went to microsoft.com and saw the troubleshoot guides but have no idea what to do.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282011
on the first i can do everything until it tells me to input the printer address... which i have no clue, ive tried a few combinations with no luck
"To work around this behavior, use either the appropriate method:
Back to the top
If you are installing a Windows NT 4.0 print driver, contact your network administrator to have the policy removed.
Back to the top
If you want to install a non-Kernel mode driver locally for a remote network printer:
1. In Control Panel, double-click Printers and Faxes.
2. Double-click Add Printer to start the Add Printer Wizard, and then click Next.
3. Click Local printer, click to clear the Automatically detect and install check box, and then click Next.
4. Click Create a new port, and then under Port type, click Local Port.
5. For Port Name, type the path to the printer in the form of \\server\printer, where server is the name of the print server and printer is the name of the printer.
6. Click Next, and then choose a Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 driver for your printer.
7. Click Next, and then follow the instructions to finish the wizard.
Note: If you use method 2, you will not get printer updates from the print server when the printer driver is later updated on the server.
on the second, ... well i dont really understand the lingo... but it kinda tells me to update the driver on the second computer... i guess..