Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Snakier

Snakier

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

Hi, i get this when i try to install my printer a Dell V305W

Unable to Install Printer. The printer driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks Windows NT 4.0 drivers.

before, the printer worked, but a few days ago, it said that the computer could not connect with the printer, so i uninstalled and tried to install, thus the problem installing

... i got support from dell.. but they couldn't help, and instead told me to get help from microsoft... but they charge 60 bucks... wtf....

i operate Windows Vista 32 bit. and have the printer connected to my network with an Hp computer with XP on the other end. The reason i provide the information regarding my network is b/c i went to microsoft.com and saw the troubleshoot guides but have no idea what to do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282011

and

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931719

on the first i can do everything until it tells me to input the printer address... which i have no clue, ive tried a few combinations with no luck

WORKAROUND
"To work around this behavior, use either the appropriate method:
Back to the top
Method 1
If you are installing a Windows NT 4.0 print driver, contact your network administrator to have the policy removed.
Back to the top
Method 2
If you want to install a non-Kernel mode driver locally for a remote network printer:

1. In Control Panel, double-click Printers and Faxes.
2. Double-click Add Printer to start the Add Printer Wizard, and then click Next.
3. Click Local printer, click to clear the Automatically detect and install check box, and then click Next.
4. Click Create a new port, and then under Port type, click Local Port.
5. For Port Name, type the path to the printer in the form of \\server\printer, where server is the name of the print server and printer is the name of the printer.
6. Click Next, and then choose a Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 driver for your printer.
7. Click Next, and then follow the instructions to finish the wizard.

Note: If you use method 2, you will not get printer updates from the print server when the printer driver is later updated on the server.

on the second, ... well i dont really understand the lingo... but it kinda tells me to update the driver on the second computer... i guess..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

Worth reading, IMO: http://reviews.dell.com/2341/223-9834/reviews.htm

Driver at http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...=WW1&osl=EN

Louis

#3 Snakier

Snakier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

i got support from dell.. but they couldn't help, and instead told me to get help from microsoft

thats the very first thing they did... but i had done it previously...

and what were the reviews for?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

I find it important to know when others have problems with a product I purchased...and some express the same frustrations for what may be the same reasons.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users