Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can someone helping me with reformatting my windows?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin3310

Kevin3310

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:52 AM

ok i wanan reformat my windows (i have windows xp pro)can i do this ... can i buy this cd key viewer from ebay and view mai cd key cuz i got dis comp as a gift den
can i reformat with a windows xp home CD?? with the windows xp pro cd key??? please help me??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:13 AM

First save your money

Jelly Bean Software

Download Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41 which is free, unless of course you wish to waste your money on ebay :thumbsup:

As long as you have the original XP CD you'll be able to format the hdd during the CD setup process.

Also if it's not got SP1/SP2 in the CD make sure you SP2 handy once you've installed otherwise your PC is likely to get infested with all kinds of virus's.

#3 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:02 AM

hi you cannot use the XP pro key for your xp home disk you can reformat but it will only install up to home edition.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:16 AM

You may be able to use the repair console to repair your installation of Windows XP Pro.
Do you have the XP Pro cd?

If XP Pro is on the computer, Magical Jellybean will ferret out the key number.

You cannot install Win XP Home over Win XP Pro.

#5 Kevin3310

Kevin3310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:34 PM

hi you cannot use the XP pro key for your xp home disk you can reformat but it will only install up to home edition.

so u sure i can reformat as in erase mai comp with a home edition CD and then i can install home edition??

#6 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:41 PM

have the tried the magic jelly bean, if you have and it works then you have your key number, if it does not then insert your xp home disc, reformat the drive then reinstall xp home, i no that when i had an xp pro disc shatter on me half way through an install, i inserted xp home reformatted and xp home when in ok.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#7 Kevin3310

Kevin3310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:14 PM

so even tho i have windows xp pro i can reformat with a windows xp home cd and in stlal windows xp with tha key i found on my comp with that jelly bean thing

#8 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:20 PM

is win pro stil on your computer, if so then has it got to be activated with the key nimber you got from jelly bean magic. let me no that, if you have then you do not need to install xp home, if you cannot get key on computer, then you have to use xp home disk with key supplied with that, your xp pro key will not do for xp home.

#9 Kevin3310

Kevin3310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:31 PM

i have windows xp right now i jus wanna get a windows xp home cd cuz its ALOT cheaper and wondering if i can reformat with that CD.................and can i use tha xp homes cd key or can i use my current cd key i found with tthe jelly program

#10 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:34 PM

use the key that came with the disk xp home one ok, not the key you have just downloaded from jelly bean.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:35 PM

You can only use a key for XP Home to validate XP Home.
If you have XP Pro on the computer now, the key Magical Jellybean got for you is for XP Pro. If you have XP Home on the computer it would be for XP Home.

A key for XP Pro only will validate XP Pro. A key for XP Home will only validate XP Home.

#12 Kevin3310

Kevin3310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:08 PM

but i can like erase mai comp with a xp home cd right and install xp home right if so how plz give me steps??

#13 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:26 AM

so currently , u are using window xp pro ? and wan to change to window xp home ? correct me if im wrong.

if so , u just have to do a clean format on your computer with window xp home cd. everything should be alright.

#14 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:35 AM

Actually pretty much all of you are wrong.

First off you dont need a thrid party program to view your cd key. It can be found by going:

control panel>> double click system > look at the bottom> It will say registered to (whoever) (whoever's company) (serial used to install the os here)

And it doesnt matter which version of windows you install, the key is good for any version of installing windows say 3 times depending on how much you payed for the product. When you run out of install it will simply say, your copy of windows has been reintsalled past its limit. Please enter a new serial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users