Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

www.dell.com screen missing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kara_Dawn

Kara_Dawn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

Background information: My computer had some really nasty viruses on it. So I wouldn't have to deal with removing these viruses manually I decided to restore my computer threw the F11 process during the start up. Half way through the restore I recieved and error and was told to restart. From there I kept getting into a loop with the error always ending in Loading PBR for description 2... done A disk read error occured Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

It was suggested to me at this point since I could not get out of this loop to reinstall my OS. I reinstalled using disk "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2".

Since the reinstallation of the OS my computer does now start up but there are a few problems. The computer no longer recognizes the speakers and the internet does not run as smoothly. Both are issues I am sure I can fix but this biggest issue is when I restart the computer the www.dell.com blue bar screen is missing so i am no longer able to restore the computer back to it's factory settings.

While doing web research I came across a program called DSRFix. I do not have a floppy drive so i followed the instructions of copying it to a CD. If I try and boot my computer from the CD however it is unable to read it and does not recognize a cd is in there. The CD drive is fine because it will work in any other situation.

Is there any other suggestions on how to get my restore back? Or how to fix the issue with the dsrfix cd not reading?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

It was suggested to me at this point since I could not get out of this loop to reinstall my OS. I reinstalled using disk "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2".

Since the reinstallation of the OS my computer does now start up but there are a few problems.

Your CD drive issue and the speakers issue may be related to missing drivers if you reinstalled the OS using a non-Dell install disk of some sort. Did you use, or do you even have, the disks that came with the PC that Dell provides in order to reload the factory installed OS and the driver disk that would have come with it for your PC? You would really want to start over using that if you didn't already and if you have the disks. I would contact Dell if you need them, hopefully they would be willing to help. (Not sure if they will though. :thumbsup: )

The problems you are having may all be resolved if you can get back to the Windows version that came on the PC, from the manufacturer. I've had to do the same and you'll save possible hours of trying to "fix" small and tedious problems.

Eric
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

Why do you WANT that thing to come up? It's just another piece of crapware windows has to load before it starts. There is an option to turn it off.

What is in the "original factory settings" that you need or I guess I should say want, because there is nothing I can think of that you "need." Depending upon the age of your computer, the odds are that the drivers installed when it was new are outdated, so you don't 'need' those, you need the new ones. Dell doesn't make the hardware, they buy the same stuff that anyone else does so you can get the drivers from the hardware manufacturers site. But if you want the Dell drivers, you can go to dell.com and find the dell versions. If you want that first screen that loads and says Dell, I'll see if I can find a download for it.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, i just don't see that you have a problem. LOL quite the opposite, you have been FREED. FLY, SOAR, BE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Kara_Dawn

Kara_Dawn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

Thank you both for your responses I do appreciate that. Yes I did use the Dell disks that came with my computer when i did the reinstall ( the OS and Drivers). Also, I am quite aware of the option to turn off the restore feature because many people ( more advanced than I am in computers) would rather not use it. I however do perfer it and someone like myself who is not as technical savvy perfer it and it's uses. The reason I wish to gain this feature back is because I have not been successful installing the OS and Drivers on my own and I have only seem to run into more problems. I have attempted updating the computer and drivers threw the dell website and this has not helped (this could be because of my own lack of computer knowledge so I could be doing something wrong lol)

I still would prefer to gain the www.dell.com blue bar back so I can do a Factory reset but here is a complete description of my current problems:

Sound: I am unable to play any sound from my speakers. If I attempt to adjust the volume I am given the error "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devises, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware and then click add hardware. I have tried following this instructions but I must be doing something wrong because I still do not get sound.

Internet: This is a very small issue but it started once the OS was installed so I am not sure if it can be fixed or not. I am able to connect to the internet and access web pages however if I scroll down the browser flashes white as if its reloading every time I move a spot down on the page. My internet speed ( as far as loading new pages) seems to be fine but lags horribly only when i scroll up or down.

**NOTE** This may or might not have anything to do with the issues that I am having but just in case I will put it. When I was initially trying to get my computer to work ( before I reinstalled the OS) Under the F12 options when the computer starts up I tried to run " Boot to utility partition" (don't ask why, I was trying anything I could at the time lol) and it would run fine but always freeze at " Initializing USBDEVID.MDM". Even after the installation of the OS I still get this freeze if I do that. Again I am not sure if it has anything to do with my problems lol I am just putting it out there just in case.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

Did you format the disk before you reinstalled Windows?

Also did the disk you used to reinstall Windows, "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2" come from Dell with your computer or is it a retail version?

Edited by Stang777, 09 July 2009 - 06:41 PM.

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

Comfort factor. I understand that lol, I do things all the time because I feel more comfortable with doing it "that" way as opposed to something different.

So what model of Dell do you have and when did you get it (for instance a Dell Celeron345 2003)? Was Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2 the Windows version you had before the problems and did that the disc that came with your computer? I'm thinking it did not because of the presence of the USBDEVID.MDM. Unless I'm mistaken, that file is on a partition that is used for recovery because yours came with a recovery disk, not a re-installation disc.

Wait, after re-reading both of your posts I'm a little confused. Let me see if I have this straight. You tried to do the recovery with the recovery disks that came with your computer. You were not successful so you got a disk from somewhere that had Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2 and installed it. THEN you put your recovery disk back into the CD drive and ran it AFTER you had installed the other disk of XP? DO I have that right? OR:

You tried the recovery option and when that didn't work you put in the disc Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2 that came with your computer and re installed the OS. (Note: I added the OR and everthing through this note AFTER I finished the rest of the post lol so if if this scenario is the correct one, let me know and ignore the other questions concerning the disc and recovery, you'll understand what i mean as you read on further).

What you want is for your computer to work the way it did before the malware afflicted you with emphasis on:

1). Your speakers (sound) working
2). Your browser to not be "flashy." (Can I assume you use not only IE, but IE7 instead of IE8?)
3). Your Dell splash screen back
4). Your recovery option back

A few more questions:
1). Did your computer come with a sound card or onboard sound?
2). When you used the other installation disk, did you reformat the hard drive?
3). Was the installation disk you used a disc from Dell? (I know there are several questions on this disk lol, so if it IS the disk that came with YOUR computer, just answer it once and ignore the other questions concerning it).
4). Do you know how to get to your BIOS (or boot menu) on start up?

EDIT: LOL stang, you are thinking the same thing I am...............

Edited by DeathStalker, 09 July 2009 - 07:19 PM.

#7 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure she said that she has the Dell version of Windows that came with the PC and the drivers. I will bow out and let the other guys handle this, but I'm suggesting formatting the HD completely and reinstalling Windows once more.

Good luck!

Eric

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

I believe you are correct Eric, thank you for pointing that out as I now see that in their second post that was said.

Sorry about that Kara Dawn.

Even though that question seems to be cleared up, I am still wondering if the hard drive was reformatted before reinstalling the operating system

#9 Kara_Dawn

Kara_Dawn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

Again thank you guys for the response. Under normal circumstances I never had to use a restore disk for my computer, it did not come with one. I always used the F11 restore internally from my computer during the restore. With my computer came 2 disks ( Both headlining: Already installed on your computer) which were the Microsoft Windows Xp Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2 and Dell Dimension and XPS Resource CD.

I use 2 browsers ( I am experiencing the same issue with both) IE version 8 (8.0.6001.18702) and Mozilla Firefox version 3.0.11.

As far as my computer goes I have a Dell Dimension E510.

My computer came with an installed sound card.

When I used the installation disk, because I was stuck in that error loop I did not reformat the hard drive. If there was a way I certainly couldnt figure it out.

The installation disk was from dell, it came with my computer.

And last but not least I am pretty sure I can get to the BIOS on start up, if it's what I think it is lol.

#10 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

I'm not ignoring you nor have I forgoteen you lol. I'm just busy and I need to research something before I answer fully. Should be later tonight or more likely tomorrow, unless someone else gets this fixed for you.

Oh, and what is your sound card? Do you have a video card or do you use the onboard video that came with your computer (Intel GMA 950 I think I read). Also is this a good list of the software that came with your computer:

Drivers & Utilities , Adobe Acrobat Reader 6 , AOL (with 6 months membership included) , Sonic RecordNow! Basic , QuickBooks (Trial) , Symantec PC Restore , Dell Starter Entertainment Pack , CyberLink PowerDVD LE , Corel WordPerfect

And did any or all of it get re-installed?

#11 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

I'll defer to one of the other two guys that are also trying to help Kara, but I think that Stang is on the right track with formatting the hard drive and starting from scratch and installing Windows with you Dell OS disk again. If the same problems persist with the PC then there's something else wrong, but I have a feeling that the problems will be gone.

Cheers!

#12 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

The dell bar is a part of the bios you might need to update that to get it back but with thepush f11 for factory restore - the data for that is usually on a partition on the HDD. If you wiped that partition when you reinstalled XP im not too sure how to restore that.
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#13 Kara_Dawn

Kara_Dawn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

Sorry for the long response I really do appreciate everyone's help.

Sound card: Sigmatel STAC9220X5, it is onboard.

As far as the software goes that sounds fairly similar to what I had with a few I didn't and I am pretty sure some are not listed but I couldn't tell you what they were. They were not installed on my computer though once I reinstalled the OS.

I have heard some info about the partition being on the HDD but I am not really familiar with what that means or how to check whether or not I deleted it on accident or through the re installation of the OS. I thought I did read though if I did manage to delete it there is no way to retrieve/reinstall it unfortunately lol.

#14 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

I have heard some info about the partition being on the HDD but I am not really familiar with what that means or how to check whether or not I deleted it on accident or through the re installation of the OS. I thought I did read though if I did manage to delete it there is no way to retrieve/reinstall it unfortunately lol.

That is what I have been researching: Whether or not I could find someplace to download a copy of the stuff in your partition. If it's still there, you have stated you don't want to lose it, (which rules out a reformat of the HDD), if it's not i wanted to be able to direct you somewhere so you could replace it. Alas, I have had no success so far. I'm hard headed though, there HAS to be a way to get that info to you, I mean they only built about a bajillion computers just like yours and put the same partition on every one of them lol.

Anyways, the other thing i wanted to check out was the effectiveness of your "malware removal technique" lol. As I suspected, your method is suspect. Had you reformatted the entire drive before you installed, the malware would be as dead as a hammer. Since you didn't it could either be dead or not dead. Before I try to help you get your stuff working, I really think you should zip over to the malware section here and make sure you don't have some remnants. If something is still on your computer, it will almost certainly block any attempts to fix things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users