Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best programs for accessing my PC remotely

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

Hope this is in the right section of the forum. I would like to be able to access my work computer, files, folders from my home PC. What are the best programs for this. I am currently trying out logmein and it seems pretty good. What about gotopc? What is the best value for your money. I am assuming that none of these programs are free? With all of these programs does the computer you are trying to access have to be turned on. I don't really want to leave my work computer on 24/7. I am experimenting with a program called fusion WAL, which will wake up your remote PC from sleep mode. I have tried another program called auto-turn on, shutdown, which can shutdown or turn on your computer at whatever times you tell it to. Is accessing your information with an Internet site totally safe with just an access code, email address and log in? Appreciate your advice on this subject.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

It really depends as to what you'll be using the remote connection to do. I use logmein to access my workstation to do basic email, file access, and internet. Logmein has a free option you can use, it's just not supported (tech support) and I believe there's some advanced functions for the other versions. In general for more use, free works.

If you're a system admin that wants to use it to remotely control/monitor servers and other workstations, you can still use logmein to access one workstation and use that for Remote Desktop Protocol (mstsc in the run command) assuming that group policy allows it. It works well for me anyways, hope it helps.

#3 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

Logmein is a fantastic option! I personally use the free version for accesing my personal PC and Logmein Rescue at work.
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#4 rohit.r.i

rohit.r.i

• Banned
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

Only one answer.......................LogMeIn...It's the best. Go for it!!!

#5 Ravahan

Ravahan

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

I have used LogMeIn for years! I found out about it back in '05 through some co-workers, we used it to get through the workplaces web filter (generally either to IM or access a site we thought would help whatever we were researching), and I eventually bought the Pro version. Right now I'm using free, because I just wasn't using the pro features enough to pay for it, and I still love it.

Unless you need the file transfers and such (which are SO nice, especially the ones you can set up as an http: link), just stick with the free version. I don't think I've ever had a single technical problem with LogMeIn and its saved me a LOT of headaches.

Like Rohit said, Go fo it!!

#6 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:06 AM

Thanks! Looks like logmein is a clear winner. Appreciate the input.

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

I need to learn more information about turning on a PC through remote access. I have tried jimmy's Packet program and it works great. I have noticed that it only turns on the PC's that are on my Wireless network. Is there a program and is it possible to remotely turn on a PC without it being on your network. How does a VPN work? How do workers turn on their computer's in the office and then access their files and docs? Appreciate the help.

#8 Quilla

Quilla

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

Dude..

Logmein is the way to go. I manage all my pc's at home and also my family and work goodies from one free account. You can't go wrong going with them.
My favorite Broadband Speed Test is at ISPgeeks.com Can't find me here? Find me there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users