Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix uninstall gone wrong

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amped

amped

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

HI,
After running a complete system virus scan with F-Secure and Malwarebytes and cleaning up some problems, I hesitate to say I downloaded Combofix from a link on this site and ran it.
A message popped up saying that it was an older version and did I want to update, to which I said yes. I chickened out and didn't run Combofix, but ran the uninstall command instead.
I have these items left from the uninstall that concern me:

C:\Combofix\CF2450.exe (file size 379kb) and
C:\Windows\System32\CF946.exe (file size 379kb)

When I click on the file properties, it reads Windows Command Processor. Can I just delete these?

Thanks loads!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

Hello,try this first.

Click on your Start Menu, then Run....
Now type combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Notice the space between the "x" and "/".

When shown the disclaimer, Select "2"
This will remove files/folders assoicated with combofix and uninstall it.

EDIT: you may need to install it again first.

Edited by boopme, 09 July 2009 - 11:36 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 amped

amped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:19 PM

Thanks, boopme...

Per your instructions, I tried to uninstall Combofix,but nothing happened.
Downloaded Combofix again and tried to uninstall, nothing happened.
Ran Combofix and YIKES!!!!!!!
Some deletions and other stuff I don't understand. The GOOD NEWS is that the 2 files I questioned are gone. The Combofix folder doesn't exist either, it was replaced by Qoobox.
I haven't uninstalled Combofix yet since I don't know what I should do at this point.

Thanks again!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:54 PM

ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer.

Please download OTCleanIt.exe and save to your Desktop.
  • Connect to the Internet and double-click on the file to launch the program.
  • Click on the green CleanUp! button.
  • If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTCleanIt attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • When it has finished, OTCleanIt will ask you to reboot so it can remove itself.
-- Note: Doing this will remove any specialized tools (including this one) downloaded and used. All other programs should be kept on your machine and used on a regular basis.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 amped

amped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:48 AM

Good morning!
I was thrilled to start my day with another response from you trying to help solve my problem.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to connect to the OTCleanit download page...keep getting HTTP 404 - File not found.
I'm hoping this isn't an indication of other probs I might have.......

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

Direct link for OTC.exe (formaly OTCleanIt)
http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTC.exe
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 amped

amped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! This problem has been solved. Really appreciate the quick replies and directions!

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:35 PM

You're welcome from all at BC.
Sorry about the firsdt link, i needed to upgate my links.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users