Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

setting up win 95

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 parko

parko

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:51 AM

I have an old computer which i thought might be handy to watch some vcd's, it used to run on windows 95, one day when i turned it on an error read
"invalid system disk, please replace disk and press any key"
- There are no disks or anything stuck in the floppy

I thought i may aswell try to reinstall windows 95 but im not sure how!!!
i entered the windows 95 cd into the drive but still nothing happens
i read stuff about a boot-disk but dont really get it !!
the computer is a pentium mmx - 186MHz
thats all i can tell you about it

any help would be handy
parko

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:08 AM

If you need a floppy disk with a CD driver go to my pages here and download Miniboot.zip and FloppyImage (which will put the miniboot image onto a floppy for you). You'll then be able to boot of the floppy which will then give you access to the CD-Rom enabling you to reinstall Windows.

However if your getting a no system disk error message, check your HDD cables and run a diagnostic test on the hdd as it may have failed, which means you'll have to get a new hdd for the PC (well second hand as a modern hdd is unlikely to work in such a old PC).

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:20 AM

Seems like your CMOS battery may have died. Replace that and go into the Bios and re-detect your hard drive.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users