Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Budget laptop: Toshiba or HP/Compaq?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eldon519

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:23 AM

Hello, this is my first post, and I'm sure you guys get a lot of posts like this, but I would appreciate anyone who can take the time to give me their opinion.

I'm looking to replace a Dell D620 with a budget laptop that will only be used for iTunes, internet, and Microsoft works/Office.

The two contenders are:

HP/Compaq Presario CQ60-420US

Toshiba Satellite L505-S5966

With the respective links/rebates/sales I've found, both come in at $430. From what I can tell, the HP has been around the block, while I think the Toshiba L505 was just announced a month or two ago, and subsequently I can't find any reviews on it. The HP seems to get good reviews from people using it within its limitations and for its intended purposes.

From what I can tell, they share the same processor, same amount of RAM (although the Toshiba has room for 8GB vs 4GB for the HP), the same video card, same screen sizes/resolution, both come with Vista Home Premium, etc.

What I see as advantages to the HP: it's proven, it supposedly has the better speakers (not a huge deal to me). From what I've read, HPs customer service may be better than Toshiba's. I've also read that some Toshibas of days past, especially lower-end ones, had quality problems.

What I see as advantages to the Toshiba: it's got a 320 GB harddrive vs 250 GB for the HP, more room for RAM expansion, it has extras like a webcam though I'll probably never use it, it's lighter, and I BELIEVE that Toshiba will allow you to upgrade to Windows 7 for free when it comes out.

So what would you pick? My main concerns are the reputations for quality of the two companies and whether the apparent advantages of the Toshiba's specs outweigh the fact that it is a newer model without a track record. Also, is Windows 7 worth getting excited about?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:54 AM

No personal experience with either, but from reading and listening to others, I would choose the Toshiba
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 GoalPoster

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

I usually don't chime in on what people should or should not buy, but I cannot in good conscious let anyone spend a red cent on any thing that is made by Hewlett Packard.

Go here for the litany of reasons, but suffice it to say they're clear purveyors of the Two-Too program (if you've owned it for two years and something goes wrong, too freakin' bad) when it comes to standing by their equipment long terms. . . . http://www.hplies.com/

I've had two of the DV6000s that I bought for the kids just over two years ago. They never left the house and were not beat up in any way. They're doorstops now as HP will not provide a fix for a known problem if they're a day over two years.

So, if you want to buy something and face potential major repair costs (they quoted $400) in two years, go for the HP.

My wife has the Toshiba . . . and the kids use it now too. Never had a lick of problems in two years. I use and Acer Aspire for work and that thing's been solid for six years with no problems.

Pricewise, they're all pretty much the same so I'd go with either the Toshiba or the Acer but DEFINITELY NOT THE HP

#4 silverchair66

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

Toshiba for sure...I've owned a few Toshiba's and never had a problem this either of them...Now HP is another story all togther...

#5 techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

I repair laptops for a living along with everything else I work on.

I would have to agree with what everyone is saying about the Presario's. The DV series, no matter what number series, have had problems from the die forming process to the end user and then some. Most of what I have worked on have been DV series Presarios.

If you're going to buy and HP, I would never and don't ever recommend a "presario" whatsoever. I have no problem with recommending the HP Business line. The 6535 series, the 4510 series, the 8530 series. These are real laptops made to take some abuse. If you want a laptop that will take alot of abuse, you want a Panasonic Toughbook. But be aware, you will pay a pretty penny for a Toughbook.

As far as the Toshiba line, I've only had to fix a handful of these. I'm actually on a Toshiba that I fixed. The problem with this one was a bad flash of the bios.

Toshiba's may not be the prettiest of the laptops that are available on the market today and they also may not be the lightest laptops on the market but they will take a bit more of a beating than any presario.

Hope this helps,

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#6 ddeerrff

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

Interesting reading here:

Asus and Toshiba come out on top in terms of reliability.

Just noticed the original date of the thread. The OP is probably long gone. Hope he got a good laptop....

Edited by ddeerrff, 10 December 2009 - 09:06 PM.

#7 ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

Go with the Toshiba Satellite ! :blink:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 11 December 2009 - 03:57 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users