Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hang in POST

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:10 AM

I've had an occasional problem starting my computer, the problem is when it hangsup in the POST. I found the LED display on the motherboard, and the configuration indicates it is hangingup at the" initializing floppy drive controller", what does this mean, and what should I do about it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:58 AM

Hi sorry about asking you this but there is such a lot happens when post starts, do you get any Stop or error numbers?
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:03 AM

When it hangsup there isn't anything showing on the monitor but the message stating that it is in the power save mode, the only indicator I have for the problem is the LED display on the motherboard.
When the computer stops in the POST it stays poweredup, but doesn't respond to anything I've tried, that consists of trying to reboot, and turn it off. I wind up unplugging and replugging it to get it back to the beginning, but it usually will startup after I go though this...so far.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:36 AM

Hi run a good antivirus like avast or avg, as it could be a virus causing this, also install a spyware something like microsoft antispy also have you sp2 installed.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:53 AM

Can you supply the make and model of the motherboard.

MSI
ASUS
ABIT etc...

Have you checked the cables to the floppy?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:45 AM

Hey thedon57...I have run AVG, The Spyware Doctor, Spybot-Search and Destroy, Adobe Sting, and I use Zone Alarm Pro and Spyware Blaster, and I use Firefox which provides me with a stand alone browser which enhances the firewall. I haven't found anything, zip, nada.

Hey stidyup...my motherboard is a MSI K7 Pro, PSU is a Antec PP-303X 300W, and I have been running Everest Home Edition to monitor the system specs, so far no abnormalities.

The LED configuration I was referring to is the PC mounted display on the motherboard, and when the computer hung up in the POST I matched the display against the MSI Diagnostic LED Function, and that is where I came up with the"initializing Foppy Drive Controller" as being where the POST is hanging up.

I haven't checked out the data cord, short of metering it out the cord, the only other option is to change it out with a spare, and I'll do that next.

#7 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:49 AM

What if you simply disable the floppy drive in the bios assuming you CAN get into the bios. Just for testing mind you, not a permanent thing.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:01 PM

Hey QQQQ...sorry it has taken this long to get back to you, I disconnected the data cable for the floppy at the motherboard, and so far there are no more hangups in the POST. Is this an indication that the floppy has a problem? My CD-ROM died a week before last, is this just a coincidence or should I be looking for something else? Next I'm going to replace the data cable and hook it back up to the motherboard and see what happens. Once again, I really do appreciate the help from you guys.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:59 PM

Probably means that your computer is about three years old or so and the cheap peripherals that they used when they assembled it are wearing out.

Replace the floppy - about ten dollars.

#10 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:04 AM

Hook the data cable to the motherboard and disconnect it from the floppy drive. (the data cable won't be hooked to anything but the motherboard) This will see if just the cable is the problem, so see if you get the hang in post now. If not then power off, hook the floppy drive back up and test again. This is how you can troubleshoot to some degree if you don't have a spare floppy drive/cable laying around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users