Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up a wireless connection using netgear.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 virusfilled

virusfilled

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:18 AM

Hi, I have a netgear box, and I went through it with my isp on how to set up a wireless connection but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? The ISP I'm with transfers me to a call centre in India, and I don't think the people I am speaking to are tech savvy, rather I think they just a set protocol which they must follow. I'm confused as to which wires I am supposed to attach where. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thankyou.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:31 AM

Have you set your netgear router up yet? or is it sill boxed?
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#3 virusfilled

virusfilled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

I set it up. When I go to the connetion, it says everything is working EXCEPT the internet connection. I have no idea why. And I'm confused, is it supposed to be attached to the cable modem or where? Forgive my naiveity.

#4 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:26 AM

Coax > Cable modem > Ethernet from cable modem WAN > WAN port on router > ethernet ports/cords into wired devices > wireless into wireless.

To setup the router you'll have to first directly connect via ethernet and type the gateway IP (Usually 192.168.0.1/192.168.1.0) into the address bar of a browser to access the router. From there you'll want to set a password and security type to make it more secure. Also make sure to update the firmware as out of the box equipment is usually a couple months out of date.

There shouldn't be anymore setup needed. You already configured with the ISP for your internet to work with the modem itself correct?

#5 virusfilled

virusfilled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

Yeah I think so, I'll try this tomorrow and get back to you, thankyou for the help.

#6 virusfilled

virusfilled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

And sorry could you simplify how the wires are supposed to be set up for a noob like me, what the heck is the coax?!

#7 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

You are on cable i take it? Coax or Coaxial is the cable that comes from that wall into the modem.
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:43 AM

Here is a site that might help explain it a little better. But most routers come with some sort of fold out diagram on how to get them connected and running. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users