Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Control wont show up..... annoying..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 terr0rgasm

terr0rgasm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:23 PM

Hey guys!

I have an annoying little problem where when i DOUBLE click the sound icon, it SAYS Volume Control is open, it appears in the taskbar, but the actual control window is nowhere to be found.

If i SINGLE click the sound icon, the simple slider shows up, but I often utilize the advanced settings and recording levels for my home studio.

If i switch users, I CAN access the controls that way, but I would really rather nothave to switch users every time I wanna change levels.

any ideas what could be causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

As tough as this would be to diagnose for me without seeing your screen, I have two thoughts. Is it possible that the volume control window is off screen somewhere, that the last time it was opened it was closed in a spot where you're jut not seeing it and now it opens there every time? Also, have you had dual monitors on the PC you're working on, do you now? That would put the icon off screen also I guess, which is my only thought at the moment on this?
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

The fact that other users on the same system...don't have this situation...would lead me to conclude that your user profile may be damaged.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

I tend to have to "re-write" profiles frequently at work within our network on PC's. XP Pro from time to time gets a little corrupted somewhere and it creates unusual problems like this. Would renaming the profile (with a .old extension) from another profile and logging back onto the profile in question get the desired effect?

Edited by Eric RBA, 09 July 2009 - 08:23 PM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:34 AM

I don't know.

I've not had a partial problem with profiles but I've been locked out of the system (temporary used to get in) because of a damaged profile...and it's the only obvious answer (I like obvious) that I can think of, under the circumstances described by the OP :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users