Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Harddrive Problems?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 uhntissuhn

uhntissuhn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

Here are the facts:

Seagate hard drive is approximately a 1.5 months old.
The laptop is 1 year and 1 month old.

Fujitsu Lifebook A series.
Model number: A6120
Product number: FPC03270AP

Fujitsu hard drive, 250 GB, Model: MHY2250BHY
Part Number: CP170897-01

When running diagnostic test on the 250 GB Fujitsu hard drive, at 20% an error message that reads: Hard disk error 2107 is received and the diagnostic test does not continue.

hard drive number 2:
Brand: Seagate Size: 500 GB Serial Number: 5VE0ZE8 Model Number: ST900325AS

When i ran the diagnostics on the second hard drive, I received ZERO error messages. I simply got an error message stating: the problem is not the hard disk.

connected BOTH hard drives externally to another computer and ran both a virus scan and check disk on the hard drives. the results on both hard drives for both tests were clean - no errors.

Here are the problems I am having:

First hard drive problem:

Computer will start up, I can log onto my Windows account, everything seems to be running smoothly. After approximately two minutes, the computer will freeze. Freeze meaning that I cannot open any windows, close any windows but I can move the mouse around.

Second hard drive problem:

Computer will start up, on the Welcome screen, when trying to open the Shut Down/Restart menu, the computer will freeze in that I cannot select or deselect anything but I can move the mouse around. As well, I can log onto my Windows account (sometimes), but shortly afterwards (about thirty seconds later) everything will freeze - cannot select/deselect anything, but the mouse will move.

Attempted to start up the fujitsu laptop by having the hard drives externally attached. Computer would not start up with either hard drive externally attached.

When trying to start Windows in Safe Mode, the same problems happen for both hard drives.

So could anyone tell me what is wrong with the computer and/or hard drives?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

First question: What test utilities are you using to "test" your hard drives? Are you using the manufacturers testing utilities?

As far as the freezing up, that sounds more like a heat problem than anything.

I would suggest cleaning the cpu fan/heatsink assembly and try it again.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 uhntissuhn

uhntissuhn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

To 'test' the hard drives it's the generic Fujitsu diagnostic test.

I am not sure how it can be heating if it's only been on for a few minutes before it freezes. It freezes within 20 seconds of being on. Also everything is clean.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

It is very possible that the cpu fan has stopped completely and is offering zero cooling function whatsoever.

I would suggest the Seagate utility to test the seagate drive to be 100% sure.

The fujitsu drive issuing error 2107 quite possibly means that the drive is or has failed in one way shape or form.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 uhntissuhn

uhntissuhn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

When connecting the Fujitsu hard drive to a different computer, that computer can read the hard drive perfectly.

And I can hear the fan.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

Well...I think considering either/both of your described situations...as hard drive problems...is off the mark.

I suggest checking Event Viewer for errors that may shed some light on your situations, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

<>

http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computi...html#diagnostic Download and run the DOS version, run Comprehensive Test on drive.

Let us know results.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users