Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my computer to improve gaming.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thaull

thaull

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

I'm not that computer-savvy, so I really need help in upgrading my computer.

I'm using:

Windows Vista Home Premium
3070MB RAM
DirectX10
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 1523 MB
1440 X 900 (32 bit) (60 Hz) Monitor
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used the CPU-Z program to find out the motherboard. What came up was:

Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.
Model: NARRA3 3.02
Rev.: A3
LPCIO: Fintek F8000

I have no idea what this means...

Does this help with anything?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are some things I've been looking over:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...N82E16819103300

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130469

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103649

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121308

I want to improve my computer to allow me to run games on max setting. I'm trying to keep my budget around $300, but if it's a bit more, I don't mind.

Anyone know any others that's better?

Edited by thaull, 08 July 2009 - 09:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:31 AM

$300 can get you a decent upgrade, but you may need to perform what I call an overhaul, to get the performance you want with your games. An overhaul is replacing the CPU, motherboard, and RAM. Essentially, you're replacing the core of the PC. The Athlon 5000+ is a good CPU, but if you want to replace it, you may need a newer motherboard to use newer processors. Getting a newer motherboard could also mean you would need to purchase new RAM for the new motherboard as some older RAM types are not compatible with newer boards. There are a few things to consider before thinking of upgrading.

First, is the computer from a brand like HP or Dell? If you so, may have issues with new processors as those companies use special motherboards that may not be updated to use the latest CPU's. If this is the case, you may need to replace the motherboard to use newer technologies.

Second, how much power does you power supply, also known as the PSU, provide? Graphics cards require a great deal of electrical power. If the computer does not have a large enough power supply for the graphics card you want, you will have two options. One is to replace the power supply with a better one, the other option is to get a graphics card that requires less energy. Most mid-range graphics cards will work with 500 watts, but high performance cards will need more.

Third, is it worth upgrading? Obviously, newer and faster components will cost more. Sometimes, it just doesn't make financial sense to replace a single component with one that costs about as much as the computer is worth and will not improve performance. Everything in a computer is connected, a single core Pentium 4 PC will not gain much with a new HD 4890. Yours is a dual core CPU, so you could use a 4890 if everything checks out, but the power supply is going to determine if your specific PC can run the card. Depending on your situation, performing a computer overhaul, replacing the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, will be more effective than a simple upgrade and the end result will be an almost new computer.

Finally, how fast is fast enough? The games you play will determine this. If you play older games, you may not need as large of an upgrade. But, if you want to play newer games, like Crysis, you would need higher performing components.

3939.png

#3 case.bolt

case.bolt

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

FWIW, playing games on max settings normally takes a lot more than what it's worth. meaning, yeah, sure, the added particles and lighting is pretty, but is it really worth that money you payed to get it? not usually...

i get all the gaming goodness i need from an older 7950gt. that is coupled with a quad-core and 8g of ram... but still. i may not see the thousands of added particles form explosions... but it still looks reeeeaaaal nice, at least to my 27 year old eyes.

meh. i wouldn't get to wrapped up in the "play every game on max settings" need... that basically means you're going to upgrade/overhaul every 6 months when new games come out. add that the the cost of games themselves (whether you choose to bypass those costs or not :thumbsup: ), and you're looking at quite a chunk of money for a slightly better experience.

your 8600gt really isn't that bad, so i'm with djpace on this one, you should look in to mobo/cpu/ram first, which is going to run you a bit more than 300...

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

I agree, if you strive to play every game at max settings, you will need to upgrade every few months. An 8600 GT is a good card, unless you play some very demanding games then you may want a faster one. A good rule with gaming PC's is to get one with a very good CPU and GPU. The GPU is important as many games are bound to it far more than the CPU.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users