Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win32/amalum.zznra win32/amalum.zzoiz

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kayakdude

kayakdude

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

CA anti-virus came up and said it quarantined these items, now windows is asking me to insert the CD for Windows service pack 3 because "files that are required for windows to operate properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD now." When you click cancel, you get a warning "Windows File Protection. You chose not to restore the original versions of the files. This may affect Windows stability. Are you sure you want to keep these unrecognized file versions? Yes / No "

What's going on here and how do I fix it. None of us have a SP 3 CD as it was downloaded. If we clik yes on keeping the unrecognized file versions are we gonna mess up windows?

I have run a complete CA scan after the event, while running malwarebytes I got the windows message. Malwarebytes also came up clean.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kayakdude

kayakdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

OK. This is definitely a CA anti-virus problem. I de-quarantined the affected files, re-scanned and had no problem.

#3 Shinkansenfan

Shinkansenfan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:49 AM

CA anti-virus came up and said it quarantined these items, now windows is asking me to insert the CD for Windows service pack 3 because "files that are required for windows to operate properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD now." When you click cancel, you get a warning "Windows File Protection. You chose not to restore the original versions of the files. This may affect Windows stability. Are you sure you want to keep these unrecognized file versions? Yes / No "

What's going on here and how do I fix it. None of us have a SP 3 CD as it was downloaded. If we clik yes on keeping the unrecognized file versions are we gonna mess up windows?

I have run a complete CA scan after the event, while running malwarebytes I got the windows message. Malwarebytes also came up clean.

Thanks

I have exactly the same issue and by coincidence was also using running Malwarebytes. I also ran AdAware Anniversary Edition as well. Both Malwarebytes and AdAware came up clean.

I too do not have the SP3 CD.

__

I see that the OP proceeded to de-quarantine and go on without issue.

Can anyone else offer insights as to whether this is truly just a CA issue or something more pernicious?
Would using System Restore to an earlier point in time assist or make things worse?

Thanks in advance!

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:55 AM

http://homeofficeforum.ca.com/homeofficefo...isplay.php?f=20

If you go to the CA forum, it's obvious this is their problem.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Shinkansenfan

Shinkansenfan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:04 AM

http://homeofficeforum.ca.com/homeofficefo...isplay.php?f=20

If you go to the CA forum, it's obvious this is their problem.

Thanks DaChew! That answers it for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users