Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

avira found something

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 polarpimp

polarpimp

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

on my hp avira found killit.exe, killwind.exe, Terminator.exe. i looked online and i couldnt find any info about them. wat should i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:46 PM

From what I found using google for each of those, they are all HP programs and were installed by HP. Not sure if they are needed or not but they do seem to want to call home, probably for updates, which you could block if you have a firewall that provides outbound protection.

Are all those files located in an HP folder?

Edited by Stang777, 08 July 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:59 PM

Hello these are PUP's. (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it. PUPs include spyware, adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that the user wants.

QOUTE: Doug's post 3
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/KillApp.B Not disinfected C:\hp\bin\KillIt.exe
Potentially unwanted tool:Application/KillApp.A Not disinfected C:\hp\bin\Terminator.exe

...Are bundled with HP and some Compaq computers in the original sysem configuration.
The specific .exe functions listed are part of what is known as BACKWEB, a utility that allows HP to "push" content onto the user's machine when the user visits the HP site for updates. There is considerable debate over the "legitimacy" of BackWeb type functions. Used strictly with HP, they are probably "safe" for the user even though the user may receive some unwanted advertising content.

My concern is that any BackWeb utility on your machine can potentially be used for more nefarious purposes if and when a bad-guy is able to place other malware onto your computer.

HP will tell you that BackWeb and its associated files are "necessary" for stable function of your computer and that removing them could compromise your ability to download needed updates from HP. My experience tells me otherwise. You will still be able to get any update HP has to offer, and of course the Microsoft Updates for your operating system come to you directly from MS, and will not be influenced if you decide to remove this decidedly deceptive "bloatware" (BackWeb) from HP.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users