Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ME laptop & Broadband

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phoksite

Phoksite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:07 AM

Hi, My name is Phoksite i am seeking assistance with my ME laptop and connecting it to broadband Internet either directly or through my friends XP system. my lap top is a hp n5295 and my friends is a dell computer Running XP, it is around a year old. i was wondering if i need new software for my lap top or what i need to do. i hooked a usb cable to the modem and it flashed 'installing' on my screen but i can not locate the program anywhere on my hard drive. i have checked all my Internet server options on the computer and have found none that work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:16 AM

hi how is your friend connected to the router usb point or ethernet cable.
one of you can go ethernet and one usb,but you may have to find out from isp supplier who the disc is from, whether they will allow two people on one disk. or if the disk will recognise your system as xp disk is different from me.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:23 AM

Hi, My name is Phoksite i am seeking assistance with my ME laptop and connecting it to broadband Internet either directly or through my friends XP system. my lap top is a hp n5295 and my friends is a dell computer Running XP, it is around a year old. i was wondering if i need new software for my lap top or what i need to do. i hooked a usb cable to the modem and it flashed 'installing' on my screen but i can not locate the program anywhere on my hard drive. i have checked all my Internet server options on the computer and have found none that work.

Are you trying to hook up USB and your friend is through ethernet on the broadband modem? If you are it won't work. Not unless you sign up for a second account. You can only use the port registered with the broadband company. If this is what you are doing you will need a router. About $40 at Walmart. If you are trying to access through your friend computer create a NEWWORK SETUP DISK on your friend XP machine and run it on your ME machine.
Try START> CONTROL PANAL> NETWORK CONNECTIONS> NETWORK SETUP WIZARD

If you would let us know if you are trying to connect to the modem, a hub, router, or directly to your friends computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users