Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

United Breaks Guitars...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

In the spring of 2008, Sons of Maxwell were traveling to Nebraska for a one-week tour and my Taylor guitar was witnessed being thrown by United Airlines baggage handlers in Chicago. I discovered later that the $3500 guitar was severely damaged. They didn’t deny the experience occurred but for nine months the various people I communicated with put the responsibility for dealing with the damage on everyone other than themselves and finally said they would do nothing to compensate me for my loss. So I promised the last person to finally say “no” to compensation (Ms. Irlweg) that I would write and produce three songs about my experience with United Airlines and make videos for each to be viewed online by anyone in the world.

Source: http://www.davecarrollmusic.com/story/united-breaks-guitars

This is the first of them songs. You go Dave! :thumbsup:

United Breaks Guitars!

I can't hardly believe they'd be so inconsiderate. I wonder if they'll be calling this guy up and begging for forgiveness now that he's made good on his promise.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

:flowers: That is just brilliant, see if they don't come begging for mercy. :thumbsup:
And two more to come, they'll be crying out for him to stop. Carry on Dave

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

I hope it gets the desired results
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 robroy

robroy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:16 PM

typical airline strategy, deny it or refuse to pay damages same as when they lose your luggage
My Blog

Posted Image

S rhioghal Mo Dhream

B' fheàrr Gàidhlig briste na Beurla cliste.

#5 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

I hope it gets the desired results

@ Mark x 2, Apparently, it has. I didn't know the people at United were such comedians though. "It struck a chord". No kidding.... :flowers:

http://twitter.com/UnitedAirlines/status/2522271993 :thumbsup:
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here

#6 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

:thumbsup: that's great wish I was as creative as that, I've had plenty of problems with airlines before, lost baggage, massive delays and nearly missing our return flight back home when they tossed up the transportation to the airport.

Can't wait for the other 2 and good to see it has "struck a chord" :flowers:

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,531 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

Comcast and ABC picked up the story: http://www.comcast.net/video/Singers-Airli...anMusic/newest/

The 60's ideals of peaceful protest are alive and well!! :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

Quick update. Since I'm really liking this guy and his creative inkling.... He's posted a short comment to his fans on youtube.

United has offered him some compensation, and he says 'too late'. He's however, offered the possibility that they (United) could give that money to a charity of their choosing and asked that they notify him of just where the money went. I think the guy's a classact, and United is really going to hurt from this. With now over a million hits (actually getting close to 1.5 mil), this has indeed 'struck a chord' in all who have ever been met with indifference and wild goose chases from any company's customer service representatives.

As the saying goes, "Payback's a bleep". :thumbsup:

The Statement, straight from the horse's mouth:

Some additional goodness: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=514...ated;photovideo

And:

#9 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:55 AM

Thanks, just had the time to look at it and had a good laugh. Waiting for video 2 to be out. lyrics are ready fwik ^^.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#10 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:13 AM

wow, that song is kind of catchy. Them villans aint getting my drum kit. United suck.

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

#11 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

song two out of the trilogy =)

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

Absolutely brilliant!!
I shot coffee out my nose watching the end after the credits
:thumbsup: :flowers:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

.....and the trilogy is complete. Note that all three songs/videos are available at the link below in addition to the background story.

http://www.davecarrollmusic.com/ubg/song3/

Even though the United Breaks Guitars saga is now over, since Dave Carroll has fulfilled his 'promise' to United, his involvement in giving a voice to unsatisfied customers will continue on through a new website dedicated to sharing experiences and perhaps even finding solutions to the less than stellar customer service some companies provide.

In response to your overwhelming feedback I have created the Right Side of Right website so that we can more effectively share stories and seek out possible solutions. This will include finding ways for us to work with companies that truly want to deliver better experiences for their customers and who are striving to be on the “Right Side of Right.”

#14 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Awesome! I wish this site all the success in the world to achieve the results it was designed for.
Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users