Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD-RW Drive won't burn for some reason

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ikickyour

ikickyour

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:25 PM

Hello,

My problem is that my DVD-RW won't burn now. I have checked the hardware inside the computer and everything is fine inside.

I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D and I can load CD's and it recognizes them. It also recognizes CD's that I have burned previously. I don't understand why but it doesn't give me an option to burn anymore.

Let me explain some of the things I've tried to fix it :

1) I tried installing a new firmware for it and I don't think it helped. I think in trying to fix this, Installing this was a mistake because it still won't let me burn. The drivers I installed are located here : http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/...ev00001r_e.html and when you go to the website the one I downloaded and installed is "DVR-112D(BK,SV)".

2) I've tried using another program like ISO Recorder or some other free burner programs and they don't let me burn my CD-RW that has some data already burned onto it. In ISO Recorder it shows it saying it is a "Non-Blank Non-Writeable Usable" when the disk is inserted. I did burn something to this disk but i'm trying to erase the disk aswell.

So now im not sure what steps I should take anymore. I can't find any support as far as pioneer goes. I'm starting to think this burner doesn't need drivers and that I might of made the problem worse by installing those drivers.

Can anyone help me fix my burner so it will burn CD-RW disks again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

Try a new CD-RW...if you really want to know if it works.

Trying a disk which did not completely record...is a waste of time, IMO, if you want to know if the burner is functioning properly. The disk itself can be bad.

I would also burn a CD-R.

Louis

#3 ikickyour

ikickyour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

Try a new CD-RW...if you really want to know if it works.

Trying a disk which did not completely record...is a waste of time, IMO, if you want to know if the burner is functioning properly. The disk itself can be bad.

I would also burn a CD-R.

Louis

Thank you for the advice Louis. I have noticed that in my services the IMAPI service won't start automatically when I restart my computer. I've set it to automatic and enabled it then restart my computer and it won't be enabled.

I'm thinking perhaps this is the problem. What do you think about this?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

The proper setting for that service is manual, not automatic. I believe this service only runs when burning and the burn software triggers it (but I'm not sure that's how it works).

http://www.pc1news.com/imapi-cd-burning-co...rvice-1503.html

If my burner doesn't function properly, I usually assume it's the software at fault as my first guess. You might try uninstalling it and reinstalling.

As for drivers...Windows supplies the drivers (typically) for all optical drives.

What you linked is firmware, which is not a driver. It's analogous to the BIOS on a motherboard and I've never had to do a firmware update. IMO, such should be treated the same way as BIOS updates...if it ain't broke, don't break it by fooling with it.

Louis

#5 ikickyour

ikickyour
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

The proper setting for that service is manual, not automatic. I believe this service only runs when burning and the burn software triggers it (but I'm not sure that's how it works).

http://www.pc1news.com/imapi-cd-burning-co...rvice-1503.html

If my burner doesn't function properly, I usually assume it's the software at fault as my first guess. You might try uninstalling it and reinstalling.

As for drivers...Windows supplies the drivers (typically) for all optical drives.

What you linked is firmware, which is not a driver. It's analogous to the BIOS on a motherboard and I've never had to do a firmware update. IMO, such should be treated the same way as BIOS updates...if it ain't broke, don't break it by fooling with it.

Louis

Okay well im not sure if my burner is broken or not. I've tried uninstalling the driver in the device manager and restarting my computer and letting it reinstall. It still fails to burn.

Any other ideas to fix my burner problem?

I'm starting to think that it makes CD's corrupt or something when it burns to them..im not sure though, just a guess.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/pioneer-dvd-r...ize-cds-257106/

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Pro...0Drive%20Models
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users