Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird freeze up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rexmism

rexmism

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

Hello,
I've been having an odd problem for quite a while. It's very random so it's hard to figure out what's going on. Basically my computer, from time to time, will spontaneously become extremely slow to the point where it's very difficult or impossible to even move the cursor. I've been able to open task manager and see that nothing weird appears to be running. I've been able to close all programs, but nothing will make it work again until I restart. Occassionally it will even require two restarts to run right again. The oddest thing is the circumstances in which it happens. It's only when it's playing video (including YouTube, WMP, Hulu, Flash, or any other kind of video player) or very rarely, playing mp3s. I thought at first it might be some interference with Windows update, since it updates around 12, which is when I'm eating lunch and like to watch something, but I tried it late in the afternoon once and it still froze up after a while. I never know when or if it will freeze up. I might be able to make it through an episode, but sometimes only 5 or 10 minutes. Weirdest of all, I take this laptop home sometimes and have watched plenty of DVD's and videos online without one freeze up. It only ever occurs at work. What in the world is going on, any ideas? By the way, disconnecting from the internet after the freeze up doesn't work either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CnP Systems

CnP Systems

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

Could be a corrupted video driver. You can get an updated version from the manufacturer's website. Could be a dirty interior and thus it's getting quite hot when it's processing a lot of graphics. You could clean it out and monitor or view some of what's going on with Speedfan or Motherboard Monitor. I've seen computers slow down or shut down when the processor gets too hot or the fan and heatsink are not in contact with the processor as they should be. Obviously, if that were the case, room temps and where your laptop is sitting could make a difference as well.
CnP

#3 rexmism

rexmism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the help. I ran Speedfan and see that my hard drive gets too hot. No fans are showing up on the software and I never even hear one running, so I'm guessing that's the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users