Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VGA... HD?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MusePyraverne

MusePyraverne

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

Hi. I'm looking to buy an Xbox 360 (Arcade) and know that there's a VGA-HD cable for connecting the Xbox to a monitor... I do know that my notebook has a VGA connection... but would it be VGA-HD compatible? a.k.a. is there a difference here between VGA and VGA HD as far as connections go?

Would it be a function of the computer/video card/audio itself? (4-year-old Dell Inspiron 1501 notebook, Windows XP sp2, AMD Turion, and the standard video/audio that comes with it - videocard ATI Radeon Xpress 1150, audio is SigmaTel High-definition *is what I think it's called* ).

I just don't want my computer to crash when I try to plug things in... so thanks for the help... =)

p.s. If this stuff is compatible, is there anything I need to do in particular to make things work or get the computer to recognize the Xbox, or will it do that on its own/minor stuff? Yes I am naive. Sorry...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 case.bolt

case.bolt

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

laptops do not have a line in port for VGA (or at least I've never encountered one) but they normally do have a line out, so you can send your laptop
s screen to an external monitor. I can -almost- guarantee with certainty that you will not be able to run your 360 to your laptop monitor. Laptops just aren't made that way. check your laptop model's specs.

#3 case.bolt

case.bolt

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

the VGA HD cable you are talking about is really only specifically for the 360. HD VGA is a bit of a misnomer. The only reason the use that terminology is because people wanted to option to hook up 360's to external monitors, instead of a TV, but you won't actually get a full HD experience if you do because VGA does not handle the proper throughput that DVI or other HD-capable connections do.

For more in-depth info, see this article: http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-...HD-AV-Cable/p1/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users