Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need a good list of downloads

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 youngmomma

youngmomma

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:23 PM

i have allot of stuff on my comp that i dont think i need that is taking up space but i am scared to delete anything and my scan disk keeps reseting itself before it checks or fixes anything so i am kinda stuck. also i am having problems downloading updates and anti virus stuff because of the version of windows or other things i could use a list of good programs that will help me get this comp runnin good . thank you very much jess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Almuric

Almuric

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

i have allot of stuff on my comp that i dont think i need that is taking up space but i am scared to delete anything and my scan disk keeps reseting itself before it checks or fixes anything so i am kinda stuck. also i am having problems downloading updates and anti virus stuff because of the version of windows or other things i could use a list of good programs that will help me get this comp runnin good . thank you very much jess

You must tell us how you use your computer. What kind of programs do you need? I use "Spybot" as an anti-malware program, "Zone Alarm" as a firewall, "Flashget" as a download manager, "Winamp" for audio files, "BSPlayer" and "Media Player Classic" for video players, "Power DVD" for DVD player and so many more. Till now as an antivirus I was using "AVG" the full version but from now on it cannot update and it tells me to upgrade my Operational System. I will not so I'm going to find another solution on antivirus. What other programs do you need? I use lots of programs and utilities as well but I must have an idea of your PC to understand what you're looking for.

#3 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:07 PM

i just want to be able to surf the net fairly fast and not have to worry about people infecting the comp or the programs slowing the comp down a whole whole lot so just want to be safe and not slow i have windows me so people keep telling me to get new os but cant afford one right now . so i dont know what the answer is. ??? thanks jess

#4 Almuric

Almuric

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:19 PM

If you cannot install Windows XP because of RAM or CPU I suggest you to install Windows 98 SE. They are far better Windows ME. I use this OS and the programs I mentioned before are for this too. Not memory problem. Lots of drivers and maybe the more stable OS of Microsoft, ever.

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:03 AM

windows me is very stable
don't worry about upgrading

ok can you tell us your:
ram amount
CPU speed

a good anti virus is Avast anti virus
and a good browser is Opera
thats it you should be done:)

also try defragging your disk and then trying to scan your disk for errors

also it may be fixing the hard drive even though it resetting
maybe you should leave the computer overnight or some thing

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:12 AM

If you cannot install Windows XP because of RAM or CPU I suggest you to install Windows 98 SE. They are far better Windows ME. I use this OS and the programs I mentioned before are for this too. Not memory problem. Lots of drivers and maybe the more stable OS of Microsoft, ever.

Dont you think your suggestion is too late?

#7 Almuric

Almuric

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

You mean it's an old OS? Windows XP are old too. They're up to 7 years old. So we must not use them, right? Windows ME is the worst operating system ever build by Microsoft and Windows Vista follows. But that's just my own opinion. We must consider of this. What else we need an operating system but to be as operational and functional as it gets. The newer is not indispensably the best. Windows 98 SE use the old DOS core and because of that is the most stable operating system of Microsoft. Windows ME was an experimental version of Windows XP and it failed. Windows Vista the same of Windows 7. My suggestion still stays the same. :thumbsup:

Edited by Almuric, 27 July 2009 - 12:34 PM.

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:47 AM

Windows ME is the worst operating system ever build by Microsoft and Windows Vista follows. Windows 98 SE use the old DOS core and because of that is the more stable operating system of Microsoft. Windows ME was an experimental version of Windows XP and it failed. Windows Vista the same of Windows 7. My suggestion still stays the same. :flowers:

WinME is a DOS based system but you can't access it directly without a boot disk. I think WinME was an experimental version of Win2k that went wrong.

I couldn't agree more Almuric. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#9 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

:thumbsup:

Add me to that one, Mate.

ME, was just the forerunner of XP, but it went seriousily wrong at the time.

:flowers:

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

ME was no experiment. It was a sales strategy of MS. They did a lil change in Win98 and sold it again. Yes people bought it too. This happened few months before launch of XP. I have observed MS for years. When they have to launch a new product, they want to make money on older product.

#11 Almuric

Almuric

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:42 PM

On a browser I could suggest also Mozilla Firefox. About three years before I was watching statistics among broswers and found out that Mozilla Firefox 2.0 had 85% protection when Internet Explorer 6.0 had only 17-18%! Opera was close (with Mozilla) of course and after was the Netscape Navigator, that it was improved! In the very past it sucked seriously... Now we have even better Mozilla Firefox 3.0 but it's too heavy. It's flaw. Also it has no support in Windows 98 SE so I'm using 2.0 with it's upgrades. Until recently (2 months, I think?) I made my last. I don't know if 3.0 has support on Windows ME but I suggest you to use it or the Opera one, too! Internet Explorer by no means!

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

other things i could use a list of good programs that will help me get this comp runnin good . thank you very much jess

Have a look at Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps for a comprehensive list of free programs.
Quite a few are compatible with Windows 98.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:51 AM

well i had windows me for a long time
had hardly any problems with it
(i had windows 98 for a long time to so dont say i cant say nothing lol)

#14 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

Could you please clarify wich OS is under discussion and which programs you DO presently have installed ( aintivirus protection, Malware finding stuff etc ) so we can see which you CAN safely remove :thumbsup: OR even some maybe better ones to use :flowers:

#15 acheleg

acheleg

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

On a browser I could suggest also Mozilla Firefox. About three years before I was watching statistics among broswers and found out that Mozilla Firefox 2.0 had 85% protection when Internet Explorer 6.0 had only 17-18%! Opera was close (with Mozilla) of course and after was the Netscape Navigator, that it was improved! In the very past it sucked seriously... Now we have even better Mozilla Firefox 3.0 but it's too heavy. It's flaw. Also it has no support in Windows 98 SE so I'm using 2.0 with it's upgrades. Until recently (2 months, I think?) I made my last. I don't know if 3.0 has support on Windows ME but I suggest you to use it or the Opera one, too! Internet Explorer by no means!

thats only because generally the computer illiterrate use both ie and end up getting infected.

firefox users are a little more computer educated, and are not as likely to click on virus-infecting advertisements or to open infected email attachments.

or this is my guess. firefox is not the end-all to infections that people make it out to be.

why would you want to download more programs if your trying to clean the computer up? infections usually come from downloads, anyway, so dont go all freeware happy on us.

sounds like your best bet is to reinstall everything. if you can get ahold of a windows me disk, you can re-use your product key, and install it for free.

though, it wouldnt surprise me, if it cant even run checkdisk, that there is a serious hardware problem looming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users