Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:33 PM
Does anyone know what the restrictions on Upgrades are?
I have several copies of Windows because of all the computers I've bought/built over the last 10 years.
What I am really wondering is if there is a restriction to which version of windows I can use for my upgrade to W7?
Maybe I'm worrying about this too much. But I don't want to upgrade computers I don't have to, and don't want to try to upgrade computers I can't
So, I've consolidated my computers down to 4 that I use.
The main one I am on now I am running W7 RC. I don't know if I can convert this to a full version with a product key or what.
1. Can I buy an upgrade and use the product key?
2. If I buy the upgrade do I need a previous version to complete the install?
Note: the previous version was OEM XP Pro, but I clean installed W7 over it. And I kinda messed with every component in the computer, so technically the OEM is no longer valid (from what I understand).
My second computer (I just like having two computers) currently has XP Pro OEM. Unfortunately I have no idea where to find the DVD. I do have a copy of XP Pro Upgrade Academic Version lying around from a computer I trashed (er... recycled). Just as FYI I also have a full version of 98SE that I originally upgraded to XP Pro on a computer I no longer have.
1. Can I use an upgrade to W7 from an Upgrade?
2. Does Academic license make a difference?
3. Would I just upgrade over the running XP and hope it doesn't ask for the DVD?
4. Should I just leave XP Pro on this computer (this is what I'm leaning towards since it isn't my main comp anyway)?
Third computer is my laptop. This computer is a Dell (bleh) and has Vista Home 32bit. This computer is only 2 years old so I'm pretty sure it could run a 64 bit OS. I don't really use this computer right now, so I'm not super familiar with all the specs. I'm a bit wary of OEM discs like the ones you get with Dell computers. Also, I would want to install the 64bit version.
1. Can I upgrade from Vista Home 32 OEM to W7 Pro 64? I'm not a fan of the Home edition, it came with the computer and I didn't have a choice.
This one I'm definitely upgrading if I have a chance, I just need to make sure the 32bit to 64 is not a problem. Well, also need to make sure those stupid OEM Dell discs actually would work for an upgrade. I don't trust those discs to contain only the OS, I'm pretty sure Dell messed with them in some way.
Forth comp is my gf's desktop. HP running XP. I'm not going to worry about this right now until I get this computer working in general.
But for the 1st and 3rd computers I definitely want W7.
I have tried to navigate MS's official W7 site, but can't find the pertinent information.