Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice Needed for after System Restore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tex_toby

tex_toby

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

My father's business computer has had some nasties on it for a while, but Monday it took a turn for the worse and was overtaken by virus/spyware etc... Task Manager, Safe Mode, System Restore were all disabled. I was able to get his accounting software backed up and then decided that it was just time for a hard drive wipe and start fresh with the restore cd's (Dell). Anyway, I formatted the drive last night and restored everything from scratch. The system was running really nice and I was updating XP service packs and just finished updating service pack #2 about 1:30AM. About that time, a bubble popped up under my "Windows Security Alert" icon in my system tray that said spyware was found. I clicked on the icon and the Overtaking began again. Windows were popping up everywhere, any kind of spyware software was disabled and if I tried to go download any tools to combat it, I was redirected to more spyware infested sites. Bottom line - a whole nights wort of work had just gone down the tubes.

At any rate, I wiped it fresh again this morning before I came to work. A fresh copy of Windows is installed with all of the driver updates, etc... I am to the point now where I need to get it online and update service packs from the Microsoft website.

Before I get it back online, what can I do at this point to prevent another overtaking? I am so frustrated at this thing and I am going on little sleep today. My patience has met it's end. This is a business computer and it needs to be up and running ASAP.

Suggestions are welcome! Thanks for letting me vent as well. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 http.pipelining

http.pipelining

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:02 PM

Download an antivirus as soon as you get back online.Then start downloading the service pack.
Posted Image

#3 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

Suggestions

You need ONE installed Resident Antivirus program

Such as Avast 4 Home

You can do an On line scan with a program such as Trend Micro

plus you really need some anti-malware programs

Two good ones are Superantispyware

Malwarebytes

Stinger is a very useful tool too to have in your arsenal of protection :thumbsup:

As already mentioned you also need to get your Windows Microsoft Updates downloaded and installed

I suggest once you ARE on line and have the basic programs on board you run FULL computer scans with each just to get you a base line for the computer

ALSO DO ensure System Restore is enabled so you have a good Point available if needed :flowers:

Hope this helps you :trumpet:

Will you let us know how you get on with this ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users