Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Veil not a "Muslim Thing?"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:34 AM

<dropped this in speak easy because of what it connects to... better safe than sorry, ja?>

I keep stumbling across reports on the net that Muslim women aren't required to wear the veils and coverings by the Quran. Hitchens (the first journalist to get waterboarded) made the statement closing an article he posted online. Another article I read said this practice was around before Islam and just something that the theocrats adopted to fit their fundamentalist view across the middle east.

Does anyone have the texts that are supposed to require certain garments? And any evidence supporting and debunking that text? I'm finding comments about it all over, but I can't find anything that looks remotely researched... My google-fu is so weak. >_<

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:30 AM

:thumbsup:

Maybe this may help a bit? Indoneasia is the largest Muslem Country in the World, I believe has a Population similar to USA and is at Australia's front door.

http://www.insideindonesia.org/content/view/16/29/

Just from the Australian side?

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/21/1037697806923.html

Like many things, opinions differ all over the World.

I live just down the road from a very large Muslem School here in Brisbane, and often chat with Teachers and children as they come past. Some are in full Muslem Dress whilst others are not, neither group seem unfriendly at any time.

My personal opinion is that clothes do not make a person, same as the colour of their skin or where they come from, or what their Religious Beliefs are, no matter from where they come from, many other things do. Main thing is how that person interacts with their Neighbours.

:flowers:

#3 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

If you want specific text on this veil wearing custom as it pertains to Islam this site might help-
http://boards.history.com/category/Religion/3005

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

I think the Quran supports modest dressing. It is said there is only one Quran and no interpretations, however, I don't know if that would even be possible, once it was translated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users