Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access anything to do with Microsoft or Windows except OS but cannot reinstall XP either.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sapphireoceans

sapphireoceans

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

Hi,

I have read the rules and am having multiple issues with my Dell Dimension 9100, but am going to start with what I think is the biggest problem.

I had an issue with the blue screen of death and restored my pc using CTRL + F11, back to it's factory settings as I wasn't able to get past the black Windows XP screen during the startup process. Only since then, although I'm able to boot up the PC and have internet usage (wireless netgear router on aol), I'm not able do any of the following:

Windows update - I get 'Page cannot be displayed' every time I try to access Microsoft web site regardless of which browser I use.

Windows Installer doesn't work. At first I had a message saying my version was out of date but since I can't access Microsoft, I can't download and install a later version so I downloaded one onto my phone and bluetoothed it to my PC and it did install, now I get the message 'Couldn't set up the installer, please be sure you are connected to the internet' (while I'm actually online). I'm not sure if this is an issue with my old modem which I'm unable to install (BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem)

Can't use/install Windows Live products (MSN messenger, Live Mail etc).

I do not have the disc for Windows XP (I'm using XP Home SP2, by the way) but have found the file (WINNT32.exe) on my PC to reinstall the OS and have tried numerous times but this gives me the message 'The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance'.

I really don't know what to do.

I have scanned with McAfee Security Center 2009, Spybot Search & Destroy, CCleaner, Ad-Aware and have removed/healed several infections/bad files. However, this has not helped this particular problem.

I am at a loss as to what I should do next.

Any help/advice would be most appreciated. Thank you..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users