Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to install ubuntu with picture illustration

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 donchen84

donchen84

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

how do you install xubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386. It would be best if you can include illustration with details on how to install it. also include the software you need to extract and install it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

The only piece of software you need is CD burning software. I recommend CDBurnerXP. When you are about to burn the CD, make sure you choose Burn ISO Image. Don't simply drag-and-drop the ISO image to the CD. The computer will be unable to boot from it if you do. I can provide more help with this if needed.

Note: I do not have Xubuntu 8.04, so instead I have used Xubuntu 9.04. They shouldn't be too different.
Also, this guide goes over installing to a dedicated drive/partition, not installing using Wubi.

After burning the CD restart the computer and boot from the CD. Adjust the bios if needed.

After it boots, you will see this screen. Choose Install Xubuntu.

After the files are loaded, you will see the following screens. They are pretty straightfoward and self-explanatory.

Welcome/Language Screen
Time Zone Screen
Keyboard Layout Screen

After that, you will see this screen. If you have a clean HDD or are willing to wipe everything on it, choose Use the entire disk. Otherwise, choose Specify partitions manually (advanced).

If Windows (or another OS) is using the entire drive, you will have to resize the partition. Choose Specify partitions manually (advanced). This will open GParted so you can resize the partition. If you go this route, you may want to use this thread as a reference. I will provide any help if needed.

After that, you will see this screen. Fill out the necessary information and click Forward.

Next, you will see this screen. If you're satisfied with the settings/information, click Forward; otherwise, click Back and correct any errors you may have made.

After that, the installation will begin. This will take 10 minutes or more, depending on the computer. If you're attending the installation, you may notice the progress bar stop. If this happens, move the mouse and the progress bar will show you the actual progress.

After the installation is done, you will be prompted to reboot your computer. Do so, log in and your new Xubuntu machine will be ready.

Edited by MadDawg, 08 July 2009 - 09:04 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users