Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot access any program as Explorer.exe has been blocked

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sirio

sirio

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:34 AM

A new Antivirus I installed (Vipre) as a trial for 15 days has a very disturbing sort of firewall, which always asks me to block unknow programs trying to access my computer, and the last one it blocked was no less than explorer.exe itself. I made the mistake of rebooting windows and now I seem to able to only access task manager. I cannot find a way to access anything, not even the antivirus. I tried safe mode, but nothing, I tried restore (but the only restore point available is after I installed vipre as I had deleted myself old restore points...)
Any suggestion on what I should to to take control of this PC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sirio

sirio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:52 AM

I managed to solve the problem. Here is how. I accessed vipre from taskmanager, I removed explorer from blocked list. Still nothing as the software had deleted the file completely. So I copied it from another pc, always through taskmanager and it was back. This is enough as a test for vipre (which keeps on asking to block everythings that moves in my PC). I will disinstall vipre and not use it anymore...

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:23 AM

I read some more about this vipre.

Yeah... deny access? No problem. How about I just delete the whole thing for you? That'll fix it good! :thumbsup:

Not too many people in the real world too happy about THAT undocumented feature.

XP has a built in firewall you know, and opinions on its effectiveness are far and wide.

I think most people will agree that some kind of firewall is necessary, and the Windows firewall is probably adequate for the average user like Jose.

If you are compelled to choose another free or paid firewall that has more configurables, it may not be a good idea to run the Windows firewall at the same time as your other firewall since they may get in the way of each other. Maybe things will be fine, maybe not, so you may end up having to choose one or the other.

You should be running at least the Windows XP firewall at a minimum.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users