Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I broke my CD/DVD/RW- It won't burn anymore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BigWayne450

BigWayne450

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:53 AM

I'm guessing it's more of a software problem than a hardware one, so I put this in SOFTWARE PROBLEMS instead. And I'm also pretty sure I did it too. I have a Dell 3000 , WinXP SP2, and the burner is an NES ND-3530A CD/DVD+RW .

Yesterday I burned some CD's with MS MediaPlayer 11. It worked just fine. Afterward I was going through the Control Panel and thought I would get rid of any programs I never or hardly used, to free up some HDD space. The only thing I could find that I never use was the Music Match Player. I've never used it once the whole 3 years I've had this computer, so I baleeted it. I've always used either MS MediaPlayer or VLC Player for watching and listening to stuff. So *poof*, dummy me removed it from my Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs list.

Now fast forward to today. I went to make some more music CD's and my Media Player had a brain fart. I put the disk in the drawer and waited for MP11 to read how many minutes were remaining on the disk so I could burn songs onto it. It gave me a "Connect a burner and restart the player" announcement at the top instead of the usual Time Remaining on Disk display. Also when I click My Computer, instead of showing it as the usual single CD/DVD-RW (D:) drive letter designation on it, it's now showing TWO separate drives named CD Drive (D:) and a second CD Drive (E:). (I only have the one burner on it tho)

The Music Match player was the only thing I did to it, but why would removing a music player affect the burning capabilities of the CD/DVD-RW drive? Aren't those drivers stored somewhere else like the System folder so that all programs can access them to make the burner work?

I've reinstalled Media Player 11 on it thinking maybe it would install a new burner driver with it, but even after doing that the drive still won't burn anything and MP11 still gives the Connect a Burner announcement.

Any suggestions on how to correct it to make the burner function once again?? Thanks ahead of time. :wink:;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BigWayne450

BigWayne450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

Just a quick follow up to my problem. I tried a lot of different remedies suggested by people in different forums to no avail. Nothing would make my comp read the drive as a burner. I even went to Roxio's Help Pages and tried some of their cures for the problem, but my comp still wouldn't read my CD/DVD/RW as a burner. Hell, I couldn't even use Defragment anymore it was so messed up from old virus attacks.

By chance yesterday I was Googling for something totally unrelated and came across an easy cure. I knew my Windows files had to have been either corrupted or deleted by past virus attacks which was my main problem. I was reading some info about a particular virus when I saw the article mention you could use the built-in System File Checker to repair corrupted or missing protected System files. You just open the Command prompt and type in sfc /scannow and windows will scan through the Windows folder and fix or repair the bad files. I now have my burner back once more.

:thumbsup: I was kinda disheartened that this got no replies, but I thought I'd still post a follow up.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

Hello,I am also sorry. Sometimes it just happens, sometimes someone slips thru.. We try our best to get to all who post. I do want to thank you for replying back with your solution as that in turn will help preventing this from occurring again. Your solution can now help the next one along. Even if no one did reply a forum search will bring them to your good posts.
I am also very pleased you worked it out and sfc /scannow was the correct solution.

Thanks for being a productive and courteous member at bleeping computer :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users