Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TV Tuner Card

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:08 AM

My wife and i are looking into getting a TV Tuner card installed on our desktop. I have Dell Insprion 530s, which has a slim case, so i hope i can find a slim card that i can fit my needs to what i am looking for.

I am looking for one that has its own deticated video and audio out, as i dont want to get the PC A/V signals mixed in with the TV A/V signals.

My TV has S-video and RCA inputs (Yellow, White, Red). I still have a CRT, and i dont plan in getting a flat panel until this one dies. Its about 10 years old i am guessing, i got it used, had it for about a year now. The picture quality is good, and i am not that into "Gotta have HDTV!" although i do think its nice, it can wait.

Also does anyone use the TV Controller made my Microsoft? I dont have the model or anything handy. I am thinking of getting that or a similar one.

I also want to have something that i could just run a single (or very few) wire between the PC and TV, so i can us the TV and not bog down or tie up the PC system resources. I also dont want to be running multiple wires, as i have cats. They love to chew!

I am running Windows 7 RC, and intend on upgrading to the Full 64 Bit version. I am also going to add some more RAM in the next few months as well.

Main thing is i want to be able to record my shows in a cost effiecnt manner, Comcast (or should i say Comcrap) charges too much for a DVR that only holds about 20-25 hours of TV shows. i am looking to save some money and to be able to expand my TV recording ablity.

Also to add, i am looking to be able to play my music off my PC as well, via my home stereo. Just like above, i want something that is separtate and wont bog down my PC.

Most of the time one of us is watching the TV while the other is using the PC. I dont want the PC usage to impair the TV Tuner, and Vice versa.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 08 July 2009 - 01:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

I suggest taking a stroll at the Hauppauge website, http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods.html

This is just to give you an idea of what's available regarding tuner cards, not a recommendation to get a Hauppauge product. They are respected manufacturers of such.

Once you get an idea of what's available...then you can hone in on what you want versus what's available.

All sorts of tuner cards exist today, from various manufacturers. Using Google ("TV tuner card) will give you an idea of what's available today in that area.

I've never heard of a "TV controller" (??) made by Microsoft, can't answer that one :thumbsup:.

Not sure what such would do. A tuner card is necessary for a computer user to get TV signals and the card is self-sufficient, once drivers are installed.

Windows Movie Maker has the ability to capture TV from a tuner card which has been installed, but...I wouldn't suggest using it over a decent capture program. Capture programs typically may be included with the purchase of a card or are downloadable.

Procuring a decent-sized hard drive...will allow you freedom to record/edit as much as you desire. You should remember that the file size of captures is dependent upon the format that you capture in, with (IME) .avi files being the largest in volume. Even if you capture in .avi format, you can reduce the size post-capture and edit at the same time.

<<Most of the time one of us is watching the TV while the other is using the PC. I dont want the PC usage to impair the TV Tuner, and Vice versa.>>

Not sure what you mean...the tuner card input to the computer...has nothing to do with TV signal to TV. If you mean you want to watch TV and record on the computer at the same time...that's available, I think (but I don't think it's a good idea).

I don't have any of the latest tuner cards, so I'm unsure of what the capabilities might be today.

Louis

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:05 AM

With a TV Tuner card you don't need the computer hooked to a TV.
You need a TV cable hooked to the Tv tuner , it will then play TV on the computer monitor.

I have a "Easy TV Tuner" card I got off of ebay for $20, delivered. :thumbsup:

It came with a remote & the drivr/program disk & works suprisingly well !
The software that came with it is pretty good.
I can set it to start recording at a certain time ,from a certain channel, & stop at a certain time.
The only issue I've had with it is on some channels when they are first turned on the picture is B & W for a couple of seconds before going to color.
For the price I paid I can't complain.

The real challage is going to be finding one to fit the slim case !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

There are also a variety of USB-connected capture devices available...you don't need a card that fits inside the computer (just my preference).

Louis

#5 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

I was thinking i am probably limted to a USB based TV Tuner. I have been looking online, just wanted to see what any of you recommend.

Here is what i am refering to the Microsoft TV Remote control

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16880100851

#6 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

Heres what i am thinking about doing

http://registration.hauppauge.com/webstore...product=hvr950q

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_wmvp.html

All i would need to do is run a Cable line from to my PC, and use my home wireless network to view it on my TV.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:59 PM

What I saw...is what a call a remote control device...not a controller of any sort. Actually, I call it a "clicker" :thumbsup:.

There are millions of varieties of those, I stick with the ones which accompany my devices. If you buy a tuner card, you should get a clicker with it :flowers:, I seem to have four or five ot them (which I don't use).

Louis

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

That MS remote control only works with "Media Center" computers that came with Windows Media Center installed.

In the ad, under Specifications it says,

"THIS IS NOT A UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL! THIS REMOTE WILL ONLY WORK WITH MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP MEDIA CENTER OPERATING SYSTEMS! "

On the USB thing, AVOID the "Easy Cap video capture device"
They are 4 real gar-bage !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#9 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

is this what you are refering to?

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR251213

Do they provide poor A/V signals?

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

"Do they provide poor A/V signals?"

A lot of "Easy Cap" are sold on ebay.

One of the treads on the ebay computer board,

problem with easycap DC60

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Computers...ycap/2000392978

That thread was started June 28 2007.
Last Post July 1, 2009

There are other threads about "easy Cap" too.

I don't think anyone has actually got 1 to work right. :thumbsup:

The one in the link is on the high priced side !

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&...mp;_sacat=58058

I wouldn't give $.05 for 1

Edited by fairjoeblue, 08 July 2009 - 03:57 PM.

#11 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:49 AM

Another thing to add here,

How much data is normally used in a One hour TV show?

Would it be better to get a bigger and/or a second hard drive?

I have a 250GB hard drive now on my system. I has about 30 GB of data on it.

#12 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:49 AM

Before I doubled my hard drives for RAID 0 I used a single 250GB SATA drive.

I had it in 2 partitions .
C =100GB with Windows & all of my programs installed.
D = the rest of the drive.
I kept my movies on D
I would run a DVD through Magic DVD Ripper to remove everything but the movie.
I would then run it though Cucusoft AVI Converter to convert the DVD to a AVI to save space.
I currently have 41 [I think] movies in a folder, all stripped of unneccessary garbage & converted to AVI & they take up less then 37GB .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users