Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a Media Center

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:47 AM

I'm building my first media center PC, but I'm not really sure of the required specs. The build I'm thinking of now looks good, but it's expensive. Can anyone who knows the specs for a media center PC give a few pointers?

It has to have HDMI, and it has to have Blu-Ray playback. It will be running Windows 7 Ultimate.

Full list of what I've put together so far is here https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedW...aspx?ID=7216049

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:50 AM

Your wish list isn't there, I suggest posting the components here so we can easily look over them.

3939.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

To the OP: You can take a screenshot of your secure transaction...by using the Print Screen key and then pasting that image into a graphics program. The product can then be inserted into your next post.

Before using Print Screen...you might ensure that no personal data is available onscreen that will be exposed to anyone when you post the graphic.

That link is behind site security protection...which means that it's only accessible by signing in to your account. We don't want that info :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

Ah, sorry, never realized Newegg would hide the wishlist.

Here's the screenshot Posted Image

Also, PSU and fans are inc. with the case.

Edited by madman6510, 08 July 2009 - 01:32 PM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

Ahh, success. I suggest not using Windows 7 Ultimate when Home Premium will do for far less cash. Anyway, there are a few changes I would make. I will list what they are and explain why below.

Case: HEC 7106BB Black Steel ATX Desktop Computer Case - This is an old fashioned desktop PC, you know, the horizontal PC case. The one you chose comes with a power supply. The power supplies that come with cases are often bad and should be avoided. Since this is going to be a media center PC and not a gaming PC, this case is designed to be small. Many reviewers suggest installing the motherboard first before the power supply and the drives. $33

You don't need SATA cables as the motherboard comes with them.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - This board will take the latest AM3 processors. It does not have onboard video, but since you're getting a graphics card, this shouldn't matter. $80

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz - The CPU you chose is of an older, less efficient design. This one is newer and performs better, but is more expensive. Since it is Black Edition, this processor comes with an unlocked multiplier allowing for easy overclocking. $114

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - This motherboard requires DDR3 memory and this will do. $64

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W - Since the case does not come with a power supply, here's one. OCZ is a good company and this will more than meet your needs. Given the small design of the case, the modular cables this PSU has will be a benefit. $59 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Video Card: ASUS EAH4670/DI/512M/A Radeon HD 4670 512MB - This is roughly on par with what you originally chose, but comes with HDMI built-in. Since you're not gaming, this card will meet your needs. $67 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

TV Tuner: AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - I have an AVerMedia TV tuner and they work well. This is the PCI-express model. $60

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - This is a little less expensive than the one you chose. $90

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc Black 5X BD-ROM - This drive will play Blu-Ray discs and can burn and write to DVD's and CD's. Remember, Windows does not come with Blu-Ray playback built-in, you need to purchase a separate program for that. $90

Operating System: Windows 7 RC 64-bit - I assume you're going to download and install the 64-bit version before August. You will need to purchase Windows 7 by April.

Total Cost: $661 (Before rebates)

Edited by DJBPace07, 08 July 2009 - 11:04 PM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users