Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Entry from Registry

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 hugh

hugh

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

:thumbsup: Help please!
How do I remove from my Windows 98 registry, details of a program that I have uninstalled so that I can make a 'clean' re-installation of the program which was not working properly.
I know that details remain in the registry because when I re-install the program, it knows that it has already been purchased and registered. The program is CuteHTML and the suppliers, Globalscape do not appear to have the answer and will not tell me how to clear my registry - even though I have bought the program and it is not working properly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:11 PM

I use RegCleaner to clean out my registry. You can get it here for free --http://www.majorgeeks.com/download460.html

#3 hugh

hugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:35 PM

Thank you phatcat42141. I will uninstall CuteHTML again then try RegCleaner.
I have PCTools Registry Mechanic installed and that has not removed.
I am new to Bleeping Computer and did not see your reply till today.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

I am probably too late, but be very careful with registry cleaners. Make a back-up copy of your registry manually..don't just take for granted that the software is going to do it for you. I have seen registry backups corrupted, and registry cleaners completely screw ups systems. Which is probably why Globalscape wouldn't help. They didn't want to be held responsible for you messing up your system. Or they are trying to hide something in there.

You can search your registry for any instances of Globalscape, or cuteHTML, and manually remove entries. (after backing up your registry of course) At least that way, you know what you did. If you use a cleaning application, most of the time you are left guessing. I have not seen any that have thorough logging capabilities.

I have never tried RegCleaner, I am only speaking about registry cleaning tools in general. RegCleaner may be the magic bullet. :thumbsup:

Edited by groovicus, 08 July 2005 - 05:21 PM.

#5 hugh

hugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

I tried RegCleaner and it found traces of CuteHTML in my registry although it was not installed. Unfortunately when I re-installed CuteHTML it still knew that it had previously been installed and registered, because, the 'Register Your Purchased copy' option under the 'Help' menu, is disabled.

Can you help me any further please.

When I run the program I get error messages. If it will help, here are the details of the errors messages:

===============================

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down",
plus a 'Close' and a 'Details' buttons.

I click 'Details' to reveal the following details;

" CUTEHTML caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:01310720.
Registers:
EAX=00000001 CS=0177 EIP=01310720 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=00000000 SS=017f ESP=007af71c EBP=00000000
ECX=e4be6090 DS=017f ESI=01310760 FS=3257
EDX=c1703ad0 ES=017f EDI=00000001 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Stack dump:
1000d26e 01310450 01310450 00000000 bfbebdbc e3e2e1e0 01310760 ebeae9e8
efeeedec f3f2f1f0 d7f6f5f4 fbfaf9f8 dffefdfc e3e2e1e0 e7e6e5e4 ebeae9e8 "

I then click the 'Close' button and there appears another pop up with an
'OK' button and a message saying;

"CuteHTML can't find checkUl.dll. The spell checker will be disabled."

I then click 'OK' and another pop up with an 'OK' button says;

"No dictionaries found - spell checker disabled.

================

#6 hugh

hugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

Thank you Groovicus. RegCleaner ran in manual mode and I was able to tick entries for RegCleaner to remove traces of programs which I have uninstalled.

I seems to me that CuteHTML/Globalscape make registry entries for security reasons and that may be why they will not help me further. For more details of the present situation of this (my) problem, please see my prevoius posting in this thread.

Thanks again.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:40 PM

Applications can and do write small files in any number of places. With older systems (ME and 98, etc) they would often add entries to Win.ini, sysconfig, etc. They also used to create .ini files... nowadays they will also add them to the registry. And they may not have a recognizable name at all.

Did you search the registry for GlobalScape? Beyond that, I can't really give lessons on defeating protections and registrations. You need to keep on GlobalScape, and get them to help you... not the easiest thing to do when they are not being cooporative. I don't suppose there is any chance of getting your money back?

#8 hugh

hugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:12 PM

Groovicus thank you, your observations are encouraging.

Do you know of a program which can track the system-calls of CuteHTML so that I might locate the hidden information. I do not know why this additional hidden data is necessary because Globalscape also gave me a 14 character serial number which has to be entered to remove the program's time-out function.

This is my last email from Globalscape (customerservice@globalscape.com):-

"Dear Hubert,
The values that are stored in the registry are not available.
I also cannot guide you toward making changes in the operating system registry.
Cordially,
Jerry Romo
Technical Support Representative
GlobalSCAPE"

I bought CuteHTML in 2000 so a refund may not be in order. Previously I had problems when I reformated my hard disk and had to contact Globalscape to re-register CuteHTML. I also had problems when I tried CuteFTP (alongside CuteHTML) and then uninstalled CuteFTP. On both occasions Globalscape were able to pilot me through.

My recent problems arose after I tried CuteHTML Pro (new). I had forst uninstalled CuteHTML then re-installed it after uninstalling the Pro version. Though CuteHTML has a handy block-search-and-replace function which I have not found in other HTML editors (which can only deal with single-line entries).

Hail Groovicus; thank you again.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:24 PM

SysInternals has two applications that you may find useful.... filemon and regmon. Filemon is a file system monitor, and regmon is a Registry Monitor. They both have filtering so that you can ignore everything except for the applications that you want to watch. And they are both free...
http://www.sysinternals.com/

Another option (if you happen to have another Win 98 system) is to use Total Uninstall to monitor the changes made when you install the application. It tracks registry changes, and file changes. It would provide a map of changes made that you could go back to your original system and "fix".
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/totaluninstall.html

I don't know how total uninstall would react to a failed installation... I'm not sure if it would give you enough clues as to what was happening. or if it would just totally crash, but filemon and regmon should.

That's about all I can think of right off the top of my head.

#10 hugh

hugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:00 AM

Hail Groovicus!

Thank you. I will read and digest your observations then try-out the options. Wish 'us' luck.

#11 hugh

hugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:19 PM

Hail Groovicus!

I downloaded Regmon and Filemon (... thanks ...) and ran them but I am not able to 'decode' the results meaningfully.

Bearing in mind my post above (7 Jul 05 5.22pm) are you (or anyone else) able to detect useful info' in the following tiny extracts from the Regmon results, please:

118.92900085 Cutehtml:FFFC8AE5 QueryValueEx
0xC19E92F0\CHECKUI NOTFOUND

127.33966827 Cutehtml:FFFC8AE5 OpenKey
HKCU\software\GlobalSCAPE\CuteHTML\2.3\checkui SUCCESS hKey: 0xE5A6D130

127.33968353 Cutehtml:FFFC8AE5 CloseKey
HKCU\software\GlobalSCAPE\CuteHTML\2.3 SUCCESS

127.33969116 Cutehtml:FFFC8AE5 QueryValueEx
HKCU\software\GlobalSCAPE\CuteHTML\2.3\checkui\msg NOTFOUND

I restricted Regmon to respond when a cute* program was.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Regards,
Hubert.

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:49 PM

That says that there is at least one key in the registry relating to GlobalSCAPE. Search for globalscape and see if you can find it.
Do you know the date when you originally installed it? It may be that you will have to search files created at that time, on the chance that the value is written into another file.

I'm sorry I can't be more help.... did filealyzer come up with anything at all?

#13 hugh

hugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:26 PM

Grooovicus,

When CuteHTML was uninstalled I search for CuteHTML or Globalscale and removed all traces found.

When I then re-installed CuteHTML the newly installed program still recognised that it has previously registered (because the registry option on the Help menu was 'not available), and, I still got error messages when I run the new installation.

I then uninstalled the program. Installed the Filemon and Regmon then rre-installed CuteHTML and ran it with Regmon loaded to try to find out what calls it made, so to find out which call is associated with the CuteHTML loading error messages. Unfortunately I could not fathom the Regmon results.

Following your comment above I will again uninstall CuteHTML , clear the registry of related entries and then look at things again with Regmon and Filemon.

I will let you know how things go.

Thanks for your continued help.

Hail Groovicus!
Hubert.

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:05 PM

Good luck. It's an interesting experience trying to help someone "hack" their system in a long distance fashion.. :thumbsup:

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:06 PM

It's an interesting experience trying to help someone "hack" their system in a long distance fashion

I thought you did that all the time with HiJack This. :thumbsup:

If this program planted a CLSID string in your registry you'll need to get rid of that. Try the Issues tab in CCleaner. Don't remove anything yet, just have a look.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users