Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are my Hard Drives dead? Comp powered up, then down and smoke smell!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 neophool

neophool

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:18 PM

Hi everyone, first post lol and of course its a problem....

So i had built this computer about 4 years ago, ran fine until XP pooped out on me. I since then got a nice laptop and used the old computer mainly for storage and some web browsing, was still moving files over to my new comp.

I had it running fine, then turned it off for a couple days. When I tried to turn it back on, it powered up, but then shut down within 5-10 seconds. The lights on the front stayed on, but everything shut down. Then i smelled smoke. NOT GOOD.

I don't know what happened, and tried it again later that day and the same thing happened, power on, lights, then 5 seconds later powers off.

I unplugged it, grounded myself and opened up the comp to see where the smell was coming from - i couldn't tell that well but it smells like the power supply (500 modular supply)

Took out my HDs (raptor 90GB, Caciar 250GB) to continue saving the data on it. Neither will spin up in 2 different external enclousures.......................havnt tried them in another comp yet tho.

If both my hard drives got fried I am going to be really mad. Are they dead? if they are, can i get that data off????

Should i try buying a new power supply? If i did, i'll just get one that i can use in a new build - what kind watts is appropriate for a gaming/audio workstation computer these days? 850 watts with 2 12v rails?

Edited by neophool, 07 July 2009 - 11:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:00 AM

There is a probability that if the only power for the external enclosure is the USB cable the drive simply isn't getting enough power to work.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 neophool

neophool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:43 AM

There is a probability that if the only power for the external enclosure is the USB cable the drive simply isn't getting enough power to work.

the enclosures are the Thermaltake blacx widow, has its own wall wart.

the other is the Rosewill rx-358, also has its own wall wart and 80mm fan and lights, they both work, but neither drive will spin up.

i will admit tho, those raptors can be power hogs, and the other drive is a Caviar black, so its a 7200RPM. HOWEVER, i had put the same drive in the same thermaltake enclosure before on a different computer and it spun up and worked. that was XP tho, now i'm running Vista64bit.

update, i smelled the power supply directly after removing it, and its DEFINETELY the power supply that was smoking. a little cracked piece of burnt plastic, looks like it could be part of the shell of a capacitor (are there even any capacitors in a PSU?) FELL OUT lol.

i still don't see how it could fry both Hard drives? its not a cheap PSU, recognized brand, and i'm sure it has surge protection on it....

Edited by neophool, 08 July 2009 - 12:45 AM.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:55 AM

yes , there are capcitors in a PSU.
A good PSU will usually have at least a couple of pretty good sized ones in addition to smaller ones.

Even a top of the line power supply can have catastrophic failure & fry components in the process.

[I turned on a unit with a Antec in it & a nice stream of white smoke blew out of the back of the PSU] :thumbsup:
Took the motherboard with it.

I would say if the HD's won't spin up they are toasted.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 neophool

neophool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

ugh.....

well i guess i'll try a new PSU, but i had a ton of data on those drives that wasn't backed up......

#6 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:19 AM

Take this as a learning experience as to do regular backups.

I had my Hdd fail on my in 2006, and I lost 4 years worth of data-music, videos and pictures and well as other files.

At the very minimum, you should copy the My Documents folder onto a USB Hdd and keep it powered off and unplugged. Only use if for backups. I got one that matched the size of both my hdd- 500GB, I have (2) 250 GB hdds. You can do a reinstall of all your programs, either from the CD that came with it or by downloading from the internet.

#7 neophool

neophool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:33 AM

Take this as a learning experience as to do regular backups.

I had my Hdd fail on my in 2006, and I lost 4 years worth of data-music, videos and pictures and well as other files.

At the very minimum, you should copy the My Documents folder onto a USB Hdd and keep it powered off and unplugged. Only use if for backups. I got one that matched the size of both my hdd- 500GB, I have (2) 250 GB hdds. You can do a reinstall of all your programs, either from the CD that came with it or by downloading from the internet.

well yeah, i had the important data backed up, but that got corrupted on a MyBook.

i managed to get about half my stuff off before this latest disaster. i'm considering hard drive recovery, but i've read the prices can be over 300 dollars!!! i got most of my important things off.

#8 604action

604action

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

Get new hard drivesPosted Image
“The Web is like a dominatrix. Everywhere I turn, I see little buttons ordering me to Submit.”
(Nytwind)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

You might take a look at Get Data Back as a possible recovery attempt, I think it's fairly priced and I have nothing bad to say about it (works for me).

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users