Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

corrupted/missing files errors galore!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 megan21266

megan21266

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

I'm running xp media center edition on my laptop, with automatic windows update. All was well yesterday, and the computer shut down normally. This morning I tried to boot up, and almost immediately it gave me a missing/corrupted file error message (sorry, can't remember the exact file). Using an xp CD from another of my computers (which only has SP1 on it), I was able to expand that missing/corrupted file and restart. Restart gave me another missing/corrupted file (again, didn't write it down, just corrected it by expanding from the xp CD). Restarted, it said I had missing/corrupted system32\drivers\isapnp.sys file. Expanded, corrected, restarted. Then it says missing/corrupted system32\drivers\ntfs.sys. This one, apparently, you copy instead of expand. So, I renamed the corrupted (ntfs.old) and copied. Restarted. Got the same missing/corrupted message. Tried copying several more times, and it did ask if I wanted to overwrite (and I could see the file where it was supposed to be when I ran a "dir" command), and I did. Still giving me same missing/corrupted error. c:\windows shows that 5 files were amended late last night (10.10pm): bootstat.dat, brownie.ini, wiadebug.log, wiasrvc.log and windowsupdate.log. Earlier in the day, win.ini and wmsetup.log were amended (but not consciously by me). I thought maybe the ntfs.sys on the CD was too old, so I tried to copy it from my tower computer, but it denied me access (a whole other problem I don't want to deal with right now).

Any thoughts on where to go from here???? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

Do you use System Restore function of XP?

Have you tried to run the sfc /scannow command?

Have you tried running the chkdsk /r command?

I would do these things in an effort to satisfy myself that it's not a hardware problem (hardware situations can create strange errors and cause file corruption).

Louis

#3 megan21266

megan21266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

I have tried to restore to last time the computer ran normally (an option in DOS somewhere along the line). Is that what you mean by the system restore function? (It didn't work) If not, where would I find that? Will that destroy all my data?

I'm not familiar with sfc /scannow. I tried it from c:\windows, and the computer doesn't recognize the command. How do I run it?

I tried chkdsk /r. The first time it said there were errors, but after doing the expansion of those various files, it now says the disk is fine.

Thanks for your help.

#4 megan21266

megan21266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

I managed to copy ntfs.sys from my tower computer, but I still get the corrupted/missing message on the laptop when I try to reboot. There the file is, staring at me from the directory, and the computer still insists it's missing/corrupted.

I can't get sfc.exe to run. No matter which directory I'm in, I get the error message "the command is not recognized". I looked at my history from last night, and recalled that the other files which were missing/corrupted were hal.dll, pci.sys, and POSSIBLY boot.ini. From searching here and other places on the internet, it appears I can get a corrupted ntfs.sys message when it really is another file that's corrupted. How can I figure out which one it is? Do all of the files I've listed have something in common, that I can tell what other files might be corrupted?

I'm really getting frustrated with this, so any help is appreciated.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

All About System Restore in WinXP - http://bertk.mvps.org/

Louis

#6 megan21266

megan21266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:16 PM

I can't use the system restore because I can't get windows to load (even in safe mode). I will try the info on the bleepingcomputer.com link, and let you know (I do have an oem disk, not the xp disk, so hopefully this is where the fix will come in).

Thanks!

#7 megan21266

megan21266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

ok, so when I type from the root c directory "copy d:i386 c:\i386" I get the error message "COPY does not support wildcards or directory copies".

Now what? Everywhere I turn, I get another roadblock!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users