Try downloading to your Desktop and installing in safe mode
It's possible an infection is preventing installation
The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy
, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
- If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
- Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
- If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
- Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow
the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
Some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming
- Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file file and rename it to mysetup.exe.
- Double-click on mysetup.exe to start the installation.
- If that did not work, then try renaming and changing the file extension. <- click this link if you do not see the file extension
- Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file, rename it to mysetup and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
- Then double-click on mysetup.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.
If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.
If using Windows Vista, refer to How to Change a File Extension in Windows Vista.
- Right-click on mbam.exe, rename it to myscan.exe.
- Double-click on myscan.exe to launch the program.
- If that did not work, then try renaming and change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.
- Double-click on myscan.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.
Be sure to update MBAM through the program's interface (preferable method
) or manually download the definition updates
and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe
to install. Then perform a Quick Scan
in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally
(not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs
tab and copy/paste the contents of the report in your next reply.Note: MBAM uses Inno Setup instead of the Windows Installer Service to install the program. If installation fails in normal mode, try installing in safe mode. Doing this is usually not advised as MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Therefore, after completing a scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another Quick Scan.