Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how much power is needed for 3 (SLI) Geforce 280 (1Gb)?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lolein

lolein

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:43 PM

any advise?\I currently have 750W for just one Geforce...seems to support up to 2 graphics cards.
thnx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

The Wattage of the PSU isn't the only consideration.
It really depends on how many amps the +12 has.

I personally wouldn't try 3 video cards unless I had a PSU rated [built] to run them.

I personally think the multple video card thing is mostly to sell more video cards.

Reminds me of early airplanes.
If 2 wings are good, 3 must be better & 10 would be GREAT !

http://www.strangemilitary.com/images/content/134667.jpg :thumbsup:

Edited by fairjoeblue, 08 July 2009 - 12:11 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:48 AM

Having more than two GPU's doesn't result in a significant performance gain. For instance, if a two-card SLI system increased performance 50%, a three-card one would increase performance 25%. This was purely an example. The cost versus performance just isn't there beyond two GPU's. That said, few power supplies have triple SLI/Crossfire advertised and many GPU manufacturers don't list the power requirements beyond two cards. Given the power draw, I would go for an 800W+ just to be safe since a single card would be 500W. A GTS 250 is basically a 9800 GTX+ rebranded as a 250. Alternatively, you can get a single GTX 280 that comes close to the performance of a GTS 250 in SLI for about $50 more than what two GTS 250's would cost.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users