Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista to XP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ingjr

Ingjr

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

Hi all, I'm new here and have a couple of questions. I bought a new Gateway LX6810 Media Center because I wanted to use the dual screen mode to have seperate window on each display. Acording to my video card instructions (Nvida GeForce GT120) this can't be done on Vista. I have another computer, the one before I bought the new one that has XP Pro on it. Is there a way to change my new computer to XP Pro without buying a new XP disc? This is the main reason I bought the new computer in the first place, because it has a 1GB video card and now I find out it won't even run 2 displays with seperate things on each screen. I can duplicate both screens, but can't run seperate window on both screens. Any help would be appreciated. TIA. Ingjr. BTW, I've had several other issues with the Vista 64bit set-up that I'm not too thrilled about either. Hope I can switch to XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

hello
off the top of my head i would say NO. not without purchasing another copy of xp. :huh:
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 Ingjr

Ingjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

I have a 160GB hard drive on my old computer, and two empty hard drive spaces on my new computer, would this work? The new one has the hot swap HD bays.

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

i dont know...somebody will be able to answer that.
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#5 Ingjr

Ingjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for your answers, maybe someone else will chime in. Thanks again. :huh:

#6 KarlH

KarlH

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:52 PM

I thought Windows Vista Ultimate supports what you're asking.

EDIT: I found an interesting application which may be what you're looking for:
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/overview/

It's cheaper than buying XP.

Edited by KarlH, 08 July 2009 - 01:09 PM.

HP Laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic.
Just sold my best computer ever: MacBook witth Apple Mac OS X Leopard (same about the wireless issues).

#7 Ingjr

Ingjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

Well I tried running that Ultramon softwear and it seemed like it would do the trick, IF I knew what I was doing, which I don't. KarlH, I noticed in your signature your best way to speed up Vista was to install Windows XP. Looks like that maybe what I need to do. Do you think that by installing the HD out of my first computer to my new one I could get XP this way? Overall I'm not real impressed with Vista. Why would they make a newer version that doesn't have the features of an older model? I'm no computer genius to say the least but don't think I would put out a new product that is incapable of doing what the old one would. Thanks for the help.

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:06 PM

No. You cannot just take you HDD out of your old computer and put it in your new computer.

Sorry you don't like Vista. I have Ultimate 64 and love it. XP isn't a pimple on Vista's butt IMHO, it just takes some getting used to. Kind of like XP was different from Win98 as Win98 was different from Win 95, which was different from WIn 3.1....... ect.

Your instructions for your nVidia GeForce GT120 say you can't use dual monitors in Vista? Who made it? According to nVidia it does. Read this page from nVidia. Have you even tried? Have you downloaded current drivers?

EDIT: Hmmmmm you said you wanted to run two SEPARATE pages at the same time and the page i linked doesn't say that specifically. Seems odd that it wouldn't however as that isn't exactly an uncommon feature. If it doesn't it is because nVidia has dropped the ball on writing drivers, not because Vista sucks. I will grant you however that there are a few third party hardware manufacturers that refuse to write Vista (especially Vista 64) drivers so that you have to buy new stuff. Creative Labs LEAPS quickly to mind, but nVidia has been quick to embrace Vista.

Make sure you get rid of that Norton as quickly as you can. it's another one that refuses to run with Vista64.

EDIT: See if this helps.

Edited by DeathStalker, 08 July 2009 - 08:27 PM.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

Vista home premium supports dual output, a friend uses it every week for over a year with his laptop hosting karaoke shows, the nvidia is more of a pain to setup.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#10 Ingjr

Ingjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

No. You cannot just take you HDD out of your old computer and put it in your new computer.

Sorry you don't like Vista. I have Ultimate 64 and love it. XP isn't a pimple on Vista's butt IMHO, it just takes some getting used to. Kind of like XP was different from Win98 as Win98 was different from Win 95, which was different from WIn 3.1....... ect.

Your instructions for your nVidia GeForce GT120 say you can't use dual monitors in Vista? Who made it? According to nVidia it does. Read this page from nVidia. Have you even tried? Have you downloaded current drivers?

EDIT: Hmmmmm you said you wanted to run two SEPARATE pages at the same time and the page i linked doesn't say that specifically. Seems odd that it wouldn't however as that isn't exactly an uncommon feature. If it doesn't it is because nVidia has dropped the ball on writing drivers, not because Vista sucks. I will grant you however that there are a few third party hardware manufacturers that refuse to write Vista (especially Vista 64) drivers so that you have to buy new stuff. Creative Labs LEAPS quickly to mind, but nVidia has been quick to embrace Vista.

Make sure you get rid of that Norton as quickly as you can. it's another one that refuses to run with Vista64.

EDIT: See if this helps.

Well I tried what you suggested in your last edit. Works great. Thanks. Saved my day. Thanks again. Ingjr.

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

Great. Glad I finally found something for someone that actually worked lol. Now send me one of your monitors so I can try it on my computer............ :huh:

#12 Ingjr

Ingjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

Got another question for you DeathStalker or anyone else. Thought I would continue this thread as it is somewhat related. Whenever I attempt to download and run a updated driver for my video card from Nvidia my computer freezes up and when I restart it's in SafeMode. Tried it twice and had to restore to original point to get it to work. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? On another note, what Internet Security program would you advize as Norton was the only one I could get to work with my 64bit system? Tried a couple of other including a free one Roadrunner internet service includes for free and none would support the 64bit deal. Thanks in advance.

#13 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

Wow, what a PITA. Have you tried it with the Norton turned off?

Norton/AV question first: I just flat out coudn't get the Norton to work with my Vista 64. I had all kinds of problems, like the computer crashing when when I tried to download drivers lol, and random freezes and all sorts of stuff. I blamed hardware, software (Vista mostly), lunar eclipses, and once a caravan of roaming gypsies for the problems, but then on a random thread I saw some computer techs really dogging out Norton so I read it and asked some questions. I got rid of the Norton and about 85% of my problems went away. I was surprised because I had always used Norton (or symantec, same company) AV's. As a matter of fact I STILL have a symantec on my XP machine, works fine. Of course that one is an older commercial version I have a license for but still........ I had ZERO luck with Norton and Vista. After trying a bunch of different ones, I have think I have settled in on Avast! (free version). I like to game and all the others I used would randomly lock up when I was in game. Avast has been wonderful. I went through McAfee (free from my cable provider lol probably what you used from road runner), Comodo, Norton, and........ and........ I forget, one other. If you get rid of the Norton, don't go to programs and features and uninstall it, use the Norton Removal Tool.

Drivers: Always turn off all your AV programs before you update your drivers. Are these the drivers you are trying to update to? While some folks recommend you get drivers from the site of your computer manufacturer (or card manufacturer), I have always gotten mine straight from nvidia. my card is made by EVGA, but they don't always have the latest WHQL signed drivers. Are you familiar with the WHQL signed drivers? Vista64 is a B um witch for wanting that WHQL signing. Not having it sometimes can cause a crash. EVGA didn't always get theirs signed so I just got in the habit of getting them from nVidia. Same with my Realtek audio drivers. (Note: Creative sound cards do NOT work fully in vista, especially Vista 64. Creative deliberately sabotaged functions of those cards with drivers and software so they won't work. If you have a creative card, this could be the root of your problem.) but back to video drivers:

You may have noticed that when you run the driver program, it uninstalls the drivers and then you have to reboot. After you reboot, freaking Vista starts installing drivers on automatic. It may or may not install the drivers YOU want, it installs the drivers IT wants too. Annoys the urine out of me. THe way to stop this is to hit Start> control Panel> System> Advanced System Settings (it's off the left of the window)> Hardware (button on the top of the pane that opens)> Windows Update Driver Settings. There you will have three options choose the one you want (I use NEVER). After you have done that then:

1.) Download and save to desktop the latest WHQL signed driver
2). Turn off all AV stuff
3). Hit Run on the driver icon and follow the instructions. Reboot when it says reboot ect.......

Try that and let me know if you are still having problems. I have "harsher" methods to use as well lol.

#14 Ingjr

Ingjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the tips DeathStalker. Well I got North uninstalled and Avast installed as per your instructions. Seems to be working great. I've downloaded the new drivers for the graphics card and am going to install this later today. Wish me luck. Thanks for the help. Clear concise instructions. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users