Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow internet?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Toobz

Toobz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

Hello all, I bought my laptop (Dell Vostro 1400) a year ago, and it hasn't given me any trouble until now. Everything works and runs quickly except for the internet. I have tried many things to fix this:

Diskcleaner, tried disk defragmenter (didn't need it), ran CCleaner and removed a lot of junk, and still my is slow on the internet.

This problem baffles me because other computers using this network run very quickly on the internet. They load webpages and videos very fast, while mine takes a couple minutes to load a single minute of video. I have DSL, and I'm using a 2WIRE router.

A couple months ago I got hit with a bad virus and had to reinstall Windows XP Home. I now have SP3 and can't seem to find a reason why its slow. I have run optimizers like CCleaner and everything.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

What's your current bandwidth?

http://www.numion.com/index.html

DSL bandwidth diminishes as users increase for that node, I believe.

Louis

#3 Toobz

Toobz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

OK Here are my results for that website:

Download speed: 747.60 (93.45) 97%
Upload speed: 396.64 (49.58) 91%
Surfspeed inside : 413.29 (51.66) 84%
Surfspeed average (worldwide): 185.19 (23.14) 100%
Surfspeed outside : 178.81 (22.35) 100%
Latency: 370 milliseconds

Even with the other computers turned off my computer still loads webpages and videos slower that the others do when multiple computers are logged in.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

I can only think of two things:

a. Check your settings against those of the other systems on your network, at the same time that you check download speeds on each system (with all systems doing what they normally do).

b. Check Event Viewer for any error messages relating to your ability to connect to the Internet.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

And...you could do a repair of Internet Explorer, Repair Internet Explorer - http://www.updatexp.com/repair-internet-explorer.html

Louis

#5 Toobz

Toobz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

On Speakeasy Speed Test a different computer gets over 3X the download speed as this laptop. What would that mean? How can I make my laptop get internet as fast as it used to? Signal strength is maximum, but it is still much much slower than my other system.

#6 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:35 PM

Is the other system's newer possibly?
Computer Pro

#7 Toobz

Toobz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

No the other system is older with lower specs than my new laptop. I really need help! Dell support won't help me because my warranty expired 2 weeks ago. :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

You can try one of the forum here specializing in networking, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/14/web-browsingemail-and-other-internet-applications/

The folks there undoubtedly have a lot more knowledge about such than I possess :thumbsup:. Someone may suggest something useful or have a better idea how to correct your situation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users