Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IDE to SATA Converter with WD SATA Drive wont install XP

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

My new Western Digital 1TB SATA Hard Drive is now running on an IDE to SATA converter that plugs into the back of my SATA device so my IDE host controller can run the drive as an IDE instead of SATA. Now that I go the converter setup and detected in the BIOS now I need to format XP on the new drive. When I run the Windows XP SP1 disc that came with my computer at boot up and follow on screen instructions to format the drive it gets through the format(someimtes freezes). When it gets to the part where it needs to copy files for the operating system it says it cant copy certain files and it will allow me to skip the file. But then it just keeps saying certain files cant be copied.. Ive tried different DVD drives and different XP installation discs and it still has the same result. Sometimes XP wont even format and it will give me a BSOD saying there is a problem with either ntfs.sys or atapi.sys. I am stuck at this point. My motherboard is the MSI 648 Max. I have read a manual for the motherboard and it doesnt say much. How can I format this brand new WD1TB drive to run on XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:16 PM

Manufacturer and model of the converter?

Is this device supposed to be plug'n play?

You say that this converter...is reflected in the BIOS?

Or do you mean that the drive is reflected in the BIOS? If so, is it reflected as an IDE hard drive properly?

After a little reading...I think you have the wrong type of converter. You don't want to convert PATA-to-SATA, you want SATA-to-PATA.

From what I see, they are different devices, http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Buy+Cheap+PATA+t...+SATA+Converter and not interchangeable in function.

Louis

#3 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

I meant the drive is being read in the BIOS as an IDE drive. Thats correct since my motherboard is IDE. I just cant format XP on this drive.

BELOW IS THE CONVERTER I PURCHASED:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812156011

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

Did you read the negative comments at Newegg?

I don't necessarily go by such...if it's a product that I know or a manufacturer that I trust. When it comes to controllers or controller-type devices, I only trust Promise and Highpoint (they are in my price range) and I prefer controller cards to converters.

I guess that I would try the converter on a different system to convince myself that it really functions properly...that's how I approach these things.

Hang on for inputs from others.

Louis

#5 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:16 PM

I know the converter is functioning properly because my hard drive is being detected from the BIOS. I am just having trouble formatting XP on my SATA Drive. HELP!!!

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:27 PM

Did the board come with a drivers disk. Windows requires SATA drivers when loading on to a SATA HDD. Since I can't find documentation on that product I am unsure if it even needs drivers. Does windows detect that the drive is present (can you select it from a list of attached drives?)

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:33 PM

There was no drivers supplied with the converter. Windows can detect my hard drive. The problem is when Windows XP is done formatting the partition it starts copying files for the operating system. It says certain files cant be copied cause there may be a problem with the windows xp disk. i have tried many different xp disks in the drive and still get the same problem. I have even changed CD ROM drives without success.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

If you have access to a computer with a CD burner download and burn to a CD Memtest86 and test your memory this can cause the problem you are experiencing

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

Sneakycyber beat me to it. After dirty/scratched install media, memory is a close second for causing your symptoms. Make sure nothing is overclocked and reset BIOS defaults. Verify memory voltage, and timing are to specs as listed by the memory manufacturer.

Edited by dpunisher, 07 July 2009 - 08:09 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#10 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:51 PM

BIOS defaults are reset and I am positive that I have done no overclocking to my system. I will try Memtest86 and tell u the results.

#11 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

I ran memtest86 and there is no problem with my memory. I am really stuck on what to do.

#12 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

I see you tried dufferent disks & CD drives but what you are describing is a CD drive issue.

The thing about CD drives is they can work perfect while using the in Windows but have an issue with copying files when trying to do an install.

The only other possibility is the power lead you have the adapter hooked to.
If it has anything else on the same power lead try a different connector for the converter.

BTW, Did you read the reviews before you bought it ?
Only 14 out of 40 people gave it a good rating
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#13 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:32 PM

well i have tried many other CD ROM drives as well. What do u mean by power leads?

#14 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:53 PM

The power connection that the adapter is hooked to.

Out of curiousity, If you don't have a SATA connection wht did you buy a SATA hard drive ???

I've used a adapter to convert a IDE HD to SATA when doing a unpgrade & using the old IDE drive with a new motherboard but If I buy a HD I get one that works with what I'm using it with.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 07 July 2009 - 11:57 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#15 GrandslammerBD

GrandslammerBD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:22 AM

do you think it would just be a wiser choice to return the SATA drive and purchase an IDE hard drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users