Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

re-enabling autorun

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rnn2walls

rnn2walls

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

A while back, I got hit with NTOSKRNL-HOOK. I knocked it out with ComboFix and that was the end of it, but it also disabled autorun on my CD drive. How can I go about turning it back on?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

Try this:

Autoplay Repair Wizard.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 rnn2walls

rnn2walls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:46 PM

That did it. Thank you very much.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

Hello rnn2walls,

I wish to add here that there are important reasons for keeping autoruns disabled.

Keeping Autorun enabled on USB and other removable drives has become a significant security risk due to the increasing number of malware variants that can infect them and transfer the infection to your computer. To learn more about this risk, please read:These types of infections usually involve malware that modifies and loads an autorun.inf (configuration) file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable) along with a malicious executable. When removable media such as a CD/DVD is inserted (mounted), autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes the malicious file to run silently on your computer. In USB drives, it modifies Windows Explorer's right-click context menu and redirects to executing the malicious file if the "Open" command is used or double-clicking on the drive icon. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled.

ComboFix automatically disables autoruns the first time it is used. Since malware writers have begun to exploit the autorun/autoplay feature, the author of ComboFix, in an effort to help protect your computer from becoming infected via that avenue, configured ComboFix to disable it. Many security applications disable this feature as well and even Microsoft recommends doing the same

...Disabling Autorun functionality can help protect customers from attack vectors that involve the execution of arbitrary code by Autorun when inserting a CD-ROM device, USB device, network shares, or other media containing a file system with an Autorun.inf file...

Microsoft Security Advisory (967940): Update for Windows Autorun

Disabling autorun/autoplay does not prevent you from accessing your media sources. They are still available by opening My Computer and accessing the source drive (CD, DVD, USB or external hard drive). Pictures on a camera can still be accessed through My Pictures and selecting "Get Pictures" from a scanner or camera. Media can be accessed via the program you normally use it with such as music CDs via Media Player, blank CDs via burning software, image handling software provided with the camera. We strongly recommend you leave the autorun feature disabled and get into the habit of accessing your media devices manually.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 07 July 2009 - 10:41 PM.
Fix BB code. ~ OB

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 butch85

butch85

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

I just used the autoplay repair wizard for the same issue. Worked great - thanks!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users