Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I make a recovery disk???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

I have a Dell desktop running windows vista. Recently, the hard drive crashed and I've replaced it and the computer is back up and running normal. My question is if I should make recovery disks like I did when I got it. I have all of the disks from Dell that include Vista and the drivers and utilities, but I thought I remembered having to make a set of disks when I got the computer. Is this needed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 voltronDefender

voltronDefender

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

Hi;

If I may suggest that you make a full image recovery backup instead of making only recovery discs. When you mount the image backup file it will be good as new. Try using the paid version of Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image 11 or Paragon. They have files/folder backup capabilities which includes all drivers and programs. If you want a freeware try Macrium Reflect Free. If your hdd is a Seagate then at their website they have a software DiscWizard which is a downgrade of Acronis True Image 11 similar to Macrium Reflect Free edition. You will only need a reserved hard drive for it. You can also clone your hard drive using DiscWizard and Acronis True Image.

Try it. It beats re-installing again(but again you will need a back-up drive). Wilders Security Forum has an official forum for Acronic True Image you may want to check it out.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Regards,

voltronDefender :thumbsup:

Edited by voltronDefender, 21 July 2009 - 02:59 PM.

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

Thank you for your reply. I will try one of the options that you suggested! I appreciate your help.
Dylan

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

I suggest that you at least make a COPY of the disks you received with your system. Keep them as back-up in case you need to use the originals and find they get scratched, which may render them useless.

#5 polarpimp

polarpimp

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

I suggest that you at least make a COPY of the disks you received with your system. Keep them as back-up in case you need to use the originals and find they get scratched, which may render them useless.

how do i make a recovery cd i also hav a dell?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users