Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PHP: A file permissions error has occurred. Please check the permissions on the script and the directory it is in and try again.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

Hi, on my site I have a sort of contact me PHP form which works great, no errors there. I then created a second as a little feed back form, I just copied my first and edited it, it always gives me this error:

A file permissions error has occurred. Please check the permissions on the script and the directory it is in and try again.

Well you can find my site here, and the form in question is at the bottom of every page, if you want to download all of my PHP etc to check that out then you can do here. If you need any more information just ask.

Thanks, Wolfy87.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

It won't do any good to look at your site, or the php. The problem is with permissions on your server. The error message is telling you exactly what is wrong, and what to check.

#3 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

I have absolutly no idea how to do that. Is it a setting in the server then?

Thanks, Wolfy87.

I have absolutly no idea how to do that. Is it a setting in the server then?

Thanks, Wolfy87.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:58 PM

I wonder what would happen if you simply binged for something like "Setting file permissions"... naw, it couldn't be that easy. :thumbsup:

#5 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

I despise your search engine awnsers but this time it worked, I didnt even know i could do that with my server, i opened ChMod? i have no idea what it is, i gess its a type of property, i then changed its value from 777 to 644, 644 was what the rest of my files where, why do you think it went in different to the others? because there was already another .php file there?

Thanks alot, Wolfy87.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

I despise those that can't take 5 seconds to research an answer. You have the gall to advertise yourself as a web content developer, but you can't figure out how to do the most trivial of research, and expect us to provide you with the knowledge to build your business.

You just made a change to your server, using an application that you have no idea what it does. You could have spent another 5 seconds looking up chmod to see what it does. You would have been 5 seconds smarter, and less apt to have to ask a simple question next time you run across permissions errors. And you would have been able to answer your own question.

Real developers take pride in figuring out things on their own. They take the time to do the research so that when someone asks them a question about what they are doing, they can answer it. I have a bug in my application that I have been working on for 2 weeks. After going through all of my code line by line to make sure that I had not done something wrong, I am about to begin troubleshooting some of the libraries I have been using to see if the problem resides there. If after that I still have a problem, then I will ask. In the meantime, I know my code inside and out; I know why I made the programming choices that I did, and I can defend those choices. After going through the libraries, I will know them inside and out, and will be able to intelligently answer questions about their use. Development and programming is all about the ability to research and learn. You have the Internet, you should be able to research anything.

In short, if you don't like the help you are getting here, you can simply go elsewhere. If you want to take the time to research and can demonstrate to the rest of us that you actually took some of your own time to try and figure out the problem, then we are happy to help. If you are too lazy to try and figure things out on your own, why should anyone else bother to waste our time helping you?

Incidentally, you avatar constitutes an advertisement, which is in violation of forum rules. Please remove it.

Oh, and you are welcome. I still helped you find the answer, didn't I? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users