Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete OE identities

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 c133capt

c133capt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

I am helping a friend with his pc, which has XP Home installed. Now he uses Windows Live Mail for email, not Outlook Express. When I try to defrag the HDD after 31% it says there are files it can not defrag. All three are OE identities. Two are very small but one is 1.3 GB in size and covers 5474 file locations. Since he no longer uses OE for email can I just delete C:\documentsandsettings\owner\localsettings\applicationdata\identities? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
c133capt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

OE sets up default system files for identities...whether they are used are not.

You can delete the identities (I think, I've never tried it) but the default files will be restored once the system boots (or maybe when OE is opened again).

I suggest you ensure that the owner/user has no need of file contents before attempting to delete.

You might also try compacting the files in those identities (via opening IE) before attempting defrag. I use OE and I've never seen such a message when I defrag, using either the Windows defrag tool or Perfect Disk.

Louis

#3 c133capt

c133capt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for your comments. I think I will just go ahead and delete the one file taking up so much space and see what happens.
c133capt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users