Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD 0x0000008E on startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 terr0rgasm

terr0rgasm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hello BC,
As of a few days ago I have been getting the BSoD with Stop Code 0x0000008E EVERY time i log in to any user in windows.

Im using XP Professional SP3. I CAN boot into safe mode and thats how i have been doing all my research on this problem over the last 4 days or so.

I THINK it all started when I installed WebcamMax. It installed fine, I tried it out, only to realize that it is way too RAM and CPU intensive for what I have going on, (2.6GHZ CPU and 256MB RAM) so I planned to uninstall it. I decided to reboot just to make sure that wouldnt help, and THATS when ihad my first BSoD. Assuming it was just a fluke, I rebooted again into my guest User, and again, BSoD.... I booted into safe mode which worked (and still works) fine, and I uninstalled WebcamMax, which didnt change anything.

The research I have done on 0x0000008E says that it is commonly a RAM problem, a rootkit (which I have ruled out) or some other malware atack.

I have already ran AVG and Combofix to try to weed out infections, Driver Checker to update all my drivers, and EasyCleaner to get rid of all bad Registry Entries and Unnecessary Files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

See the 8E error data at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm .

Yours sounds like a driver issue, IMO.

Louis

#3 chameleon437

chameleon437

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hi terr0rgasm,

I am shocked you have been able to run XP Pro on only 256 Mb of RAM (I know it is possible to run on 64 Mb of Ram - have done it but runs like a pig!). If you can boot into safe mode you should be able to do a System Restore to an earlier time (if you have it switched on of course). Have done this recently myself when I got a fatal 169.254.xxx.xxx winsock error hence my ability to post this! Once you are up and running it might be worth investigating Uniblue's Driver Scanner 2009 and to make sure your software is up-to-date, use Personal Security Inspector from www.secunia.com - the latter is free and makes sure your software is updated in good time - you need to run it once a week - only available in Administrator mode for the obvious reason that you have to be an administrator to install software.

Hope you get your problems sorted soon.

Best regards,
chameleon437

#4 terr0rgasm

terr0rgasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:19 PM

thanks guys!

i tried the Start Windows with Last Known Good Settings mode and ive been running great since!!

and btw.... this comp DOES run extremely slow... and this is how it came from dell! hahaha

i guess programs werent such RAM hogs in 03?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:38 AM

<<i guess programs werent such RAM hogs in 03?>>

No...that's not it :thumbsup:.

The fewer programs a user has installed...the less RAM requirements are.

Dell, Compaq, etc...put minimal amounts of RAM on their system...because that amount can adequately handle the few apps that are initially installed and because they can charge more for RAM "upgrades" to what the system will truly need in the future. You always need to remember that the profit motive determines what large retailers do...and when they do it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users