Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No taskbar, start button, desktop icons [Moved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sprite Monkey

Sprite Monkey

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

I was infected with a virus by a website I visited. A bunch of strange warnings popped up on my computer so I shut it down and disconnected the computer from my network. I tried to run Ad Aware which found a trojan and tried to delete it on reboot, only it kept resurfacing. I tried to run spybot S&D, but it wouldn't open. Then I tried to boot in safe mode to run these programs but it gave me a bsod when I tried that. I downloaded on a different computer AVG and PC Tool Antivirus. AVG found infections but was unable to clean them. PC Tools Antivirus crashed and was unable to solve any problems. I used Piriform's CC Cleaner to identify weird programs in my start up and then searched for them on the computer and deleted them. At that point, windows froze and I lost my task bar. I did a hard shutdown and restarted my computer, but windows would not boot up properly. I have m desktop background and can open the task manager, but I have no start button, task bar, or desktop icons.

I started this thread in the malware removal thread but got moved to the Am I Infected forum. I got a response to run sfc /scannow, but this computer is a hand me down and I don't have the XP cds. I tried to find friends who had one but they either didn't have one or they were running Vista. They recommended I post over here for alternative solutions to gettingmy PC up and running so I can identify the virus problem and clean it.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sprite Monkey

Sprite Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

Update.

Ran sfc /scannow with an XP CD. It had me click retry over 100 times because it would keep stopping, but I made it all the way through the progress bar. When it was done, nothing changed so I restarted the computer, logged on to my user, and I still have no task bar, start button, or desktop icons.

Any other suggestions?

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

In Task Manager, click Open, New Task and enter explorer.exe and click OK.

explorer.exe is what displays the things you seem to be missing. If that works, they you are still suffering from malicious software.

If your desktop appears, see if you are able to download these scanning tools as follows:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

See what that does for you. Include a reboot in your efforts to see if explorer.exe will start up properly or if you still need to run it manually from Task Manager.

The sfc /scannow messages are expected if you do not have an installation CD that matches the Service Pack of your current installation, but you should try to come up with your own copy somehow since you might need it later.

Edited by joseibarra, 07 July 2009 - 02:21 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 Sprite Monkey

Sprite Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:31 PM

Thank you, joseibarra

When I enter explorer.exe into the task manager I get an error.

"explorer.exe

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

Since you can get into Task Manager, look at the Processes tab, click the Image Name heading to sort alphabetically to see if explorer.exe is listed in there before you try to make the New Task. I'm expecting it won't be.

Try it again with the entire path to explorer.exe. For my Windows installed on drive C, that would be:

c:\windows\explorer.exe

Adjust your New Task entry as needed if at all.

I have to keep looking at it to be sure I don't mislead you with a typo...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 Sprite Monkey

Sprite Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

Checked the processes tab, no explorer.exe.

tried to run c:\windows\explorer.exe but got the exact same error. :\

Edited by Sprite Monkey, 07 July 2009 - 02:57 PM.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

explorer.exe must to be running and it sounds like your infection may have prevented that by changing some permissions so your login can't run it.

You need to be sure you logging in as Administrator or an account that is a Computer administrator (probably yes).

I would try booting in Safe Mode by restarting the computer, and tapping the F8 key repeatedly before Windows starts to load until you get to a list of boot options. Try Safe Mode with networking and if that doesn't do it, try again with no networking. If you miss the boot menu, restart and try again.

If you get networking, try to download and run the scanners while in Safe Mode.

#8 Sprite Monkey

Sprite Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

I haven't been able to boot into safe mode. I don't have the specific blue screen of death error message at the moment, but something about a critical stop to prevent damage, and that I should run some things, namely, chkdsk /p /r to check for hard disk damage.

While waiting for your reply, I started playing around with the windows xp cd I have and was able to get into the recovery console. I have been unable to run chkdsk until now, but now that I have the recovery console up I am running chkdsk /p /r. I will post again once that is done running.

Once again, thank you so much for all your help.

#9 Sprite Monkey

Sprite Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:10 PM

I finished chkdsk /p /r and it said it fixed some errors, so that's good, but nothing has changed.

This is the blue screen of death error message I get when I try to boot into safe mode.

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF789E528,0xC0000034, 0x00000000,0x00000000)"

When I try to start windows normally, I am now getting this error:

"ViewMgr

ViewMgr has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Form more information about this error, click here."

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

I am moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum for you. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 Sprite Monkey

Sprite Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:19 AM

I am moving this topic to the Am I Infected forum for you. ~ OB

Thanks, I think, but Boopme told me to post here after he moved my first post to the Am I Infected forum... :thumbsup:

Any suggestions on how to fix my problem though?

#12 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:26 AM

Thanks, Orange Blossom.

#13 Sprite Monkey

Sprite Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

I'm guessing... no?

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:22 PM

To avoid confusion with your other topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/239133/trojan-unable-to-normally/ I'm closing this one.

Incidentally, boopme asked you to post in the XP forum only for the issue of an alternative to an XP disc for running SFC/ Scannow. Since you actually found an XP CD, that question has become moot.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users